PG Music Home
Posted By: Chris K Using Pitch Shift on vocals in RB? - 07/06/21 11:13 AM
Hello all,
I have some prerecorded vocal tracks that I would like to bring into accurate tuning. One is in Bb that I would like to get in synch with music tracks in A, and the other is between D and Eb, not in tune with any concert pitch key. Has anyone tried to do this with RealBand's Pitch Shifter function? Were the results acceptable? Are other options better?
I'm not asking about AutoTuning. The performances are in relative pitch and do not need correction. I'm asking about synching overall pitch of these tracks with other tracks.
Thanks!
C K
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Using Pitch Shift on vocals in RB? - 07/06/21 05:22 PM
you should be able to do this through trial and error, by changing the track a few cents at a time (if it's between keys)
I'd undo each failed attempt and start over from the original track with a new transpose value. That way you won't have multiple transposes on the same track, which would probably degrade the quality more than one transpose.

Another possibility: If you have even the most basic version of Melodyne, it should do the job nicely.
Posted By: rharv Re: Using Pitch Shift on vocals in RB? - 07/06/21 07:32 PM
Like Pat said; if the tracks are simply flat or sharp across the board, then yes a pass thru the Pitch Shifter will indeed move them up/down slight amounts with virtually no noticeable issues.

Are the "music tracks in A" you are trying to adjust to MIDI tracks, audio tracks, or a combination?
If MIDI there may be a better way that can also do a tiny bit of 'auto tune' in the same pass, depending on plugins available. This would eliminate the guesswork of how many cents to adjust them.
Otherwise, tinker away with the pitch shift .. you may even be able to find a plugin to tell you how far the vocals are off in one pass, so you know where to start with the Pitch Shifter function. Again, reducing some of the guesswork.

Pat mentioned using the 'Undo' between efforts, I'd also recommend making a copy of the song in the first place to work on.
Like most engineers will say; use belts AND suspenders if you want to be sure your pants never have a wardrobe malfunction <grin>
Posted By: Chris K Re: Using Pitch Shift on vocals in RB? - 07/06/21 09:46 PM
Thanks Pat and rharv, I think I've got it. Trial and error - that's for sure. But it seems to be working. I notice the pitch shift sometimes adds some unintended pitch shifting beyond the one semitone specified for the Bb-to-A files, which makes certain parts of the sung lines "out of tune" after shifting. I can isolate most of these by bars and re-shift certain bars by cents if needed.

All the files are audio. I have been working on the files I want to change from Bb to A so far. I haven't gotten to the "between keys" files yet.

Thanks again.
© PG Music Forums