PG Music Home
Hi!

in RealBand, the contents of one track can be assigned to different midi channels, so that when I save the file as midi, this track gets splitted into two tracks. But if I don't want splitted tracks then, how can I merge those different midi channels into one, in RealBand? I've tried different things, but none of them works.
mmmmmmmmm not sure i understand, but why assign different midi channels in the first place?

if you don't do that does it cure the problem?
Hi Bob!

I didn't toggle that by myself. It just happens somehow through copying from one midi file into another:

Midi-File A has a Riff (Tracks: Piano, Bass, Drums)
Midi-File B has a Riff (Tracks: Piano, Bass, Drums)
I copy the Riff of Midi-File A to the end of Midi-File B. Midi-File B has then still 3 Tracks (Paino, Bass, Drums), but now plays both riffs (is longer than before).
I store this file as Midi, but when I open that Midi then, it has 2 bass tracks.

Both original midi files had different channels for the bass, that much I've already found out.

Even changing the channels already in the original A-File to the channel of the B-File doesn't make any difference, unfortunately.
Save As Type 0 MIDI file to make everything save on one track.
Save As Type 1 (MID) to save on separate tracks.
Is that what you mean?
Hi rharv,

no, that doesn't make a difference. RealBand still makes two tracks out of my bass.
I've found a solution! Took me hours ...

So for all ppl that might also encounter this problem some time later:

1. In Tracks-View left-click on the according track
2. Press CTRL+A to highlight the whole track
3. In the menu choose "Edit" - "Midi" - "Channel New"
4. Put in the same number as "New Lowest Channel" and as "New Highest Channel"
5. Click "OK"

(Command names translated from the German Version, so the names of the Englisch Version might be slightly different than written above)

@ Bob & rharv: Thanks for trying to help!
glad you worked it out........maybe if you had cut and pasted each instrument separately using the data filter, but it seems your solution is a quick and easy fix. well done
The re-channel command (as you've discovered) is how I've always done it.
Yeah, however I don't understand what rightclick-toggeling the midi channel in the head of the track line does then. Seems to me that it does nothing, except for changing just the displayed number.

Attached picture MidiChannel PicA.PNG
Attached picture MidiChannel PicB.PNG
That feature doesn't change the actual MIDI channel that is written, it just 'plays' the track on that channel for a default GM synth.

Kind of like a 'reroute this track to channel 7' in your example.
I stopped using that method long ago.
Ah ok. So maybe it would make sense to swop the functionality of both commands, according to what most people most probably need more often.
© PG Music Forums