PG Music Home
Posted By: Warren Keller Stretching vs Regenerating - 10/31/21 03:45 PM
Hi guys, Happy Halloween! If we are changing tempo in RealBand, does invoking the Stretch feature of the 'Tempo' box produce RT and RD audio that is equal to, or inferior to regenerating each track at the new tempo?

I ask this, because with the Audiophile Edition, I don't want to risk introducing artifacts or suffering loss by stretching. That said, it's much easier to stretch all tracks globally than it is to regenerate every track, thereby risking the loss of some elements that you'd already created as the regen overwrites them. Thanks!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Stretching vs Regenerating - 10/31/21 05:51 PM
My understanding is that time stretching works best when the amount of stretch is minimal, but increasing the time has a higher risk of introducing artifacts.

You could certainly try stretching and save the result with a different name so as not to destroy your original works. This might also depend on how much the track is already 'stretched'. E.g., if the phrase was recorded at 120bpm, and your song is at 100bpm, then some time stretching has already been introduced.

The RealTracks picker suggests increasing the tempo (shortening the time) has less impact than the other way around (stretching), which makes sense:

Attached picture 2021-11-01_7-44-39.jpg
Posted By: Warren Keller Re: Stretching vs Regenerating - 10/31/21 07:50 PM
Thanks VideoTrack mate. It was in fact a case of increasing the tempo, and also minimally (118 to 120), and it does sound fine. I would not have minded regenerating each track, but as I intimated, I'd already done too much editing, particularly to the RealDrums. Thanks again for your input!
© PG Music Forums