PG Music Home
Posted By: jonel Generating MIDI Harmony - 11/09/21 11:50 AM
I've imported a song from BIAB. The BIAB song includes a melody and soloist track that was composed in the notation view of BB.

What I want to do is to harmonise the Melody track in RealBand. This seemed a straightforward enough process but I have got one software issue.

The software problem occurs when I only select a portion of the melody track for harmonisation. The full track presents no problems and RealBand generated the harmony as expected. However, when only a few measures are selected and I click on Generate, I get the dreaded RealBand error. This gives me no help other than to say I can carry on, although no harmony has been produced.

Any ideas please?
Posted By: rharv Re: Generating MIDI Harmony - 11/09/21 08:49 PM
Have you saved it as a SEQ file first?

RB will try to handle BiaB files like BiaB (ie generate the whole track, generate the whole song when Generate is hit, etc) which *may be contributing to your issue.
Try saving as SEQ file and see if it works better.

What is the 'dreaded RB error' you get?
Can you post it? That can help a lot, especially if support sees it.

Also, I use the 'Make all BB tracks regular tracks' in RB, so they start acting more like a DAW, and this seems like something that is more of a DAW feature, so maybe try that too (using Save As for this change so you don't lose work afterwards).
It's a right-click -> Tracks feature from memory.
Posted By: jonel Re: Generating MIDI Harmony - 11/10/21 07:39 AM
Thanks rharv. Yes, the file is saved as an SEQ and the BB tracks all set to be standard tracks.

The first time I tried this morning, after your post, the harmony was generated with error. On subsequent generations though, I did get the error.

I've posted it but I'm unable to see it in the preview.

Attached picture RealBand10-11-2021.png
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Generating MIDI Harmony - 11/21/21 08:19 AM
<< Any ideas please? >>

I suggest allowing generation of the whole track being harmony and mute the areas I didn't want harmony to play if that's possible.

If the above doesn't work, since it's a BIAB created project, generate the harmonies in the BIAB project and import the tracks into RB. BIAB can generate just regions of audio or it can generate the whole track and mute unwanted sections.

Charlie
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Generating MIDI Harmony - 11/21/21 09:07 AM
when i get that error i just ignore it for a moment - did RB generate the harmony as well as the error message? if it did, just save the file and reboot as the msg suggests
Posted By: jonel Re: Generating MIDI Harmony - 11/22/21 08:50 AM
Thanks, that's been my solution for now.
Posted By: jonel Re: Generating MIDI Harmony - 11/22/21 08:56 AM
Yes Bob, it did generate the harmony as required and rebooting does do that job. Thank.
© PG Music Forums