PG Music Home
Posted By: jonel Clarifying the generation of midi in RealBand - 11/12/21 01:27 PM
I've generated my song in BiaB and imported it to RealBand. In RB I want to add a guitar track that is not present in the original style.

My understanding of this feature is that I can add any track that belongs to a new style added to the RealBand song. At least that's the way I have assumed it to work and the way it has actually worked for me in the past.

However, I now find myself in a position of where my original song was created in BiaB using all RealTracks. Now, in RB I add a new style, one with a guitar part. Now when I add a Midi Guitar track I get the message that the Guitar part is not in the current style! But it IS in the current style.

Any ideas please? Have I been using the feature incorrectly?
How are you 'adding MIDI guitar'?

I opened a BiaB SGU file
Made sure the empty target track was MIDI
Opened Style Picker and went to a MIDI style (shown in the Set# column)
Right-click the track
Select Generate-MIDI Track-Guitar and it worked
Still had the blue BB tracks and everything

.. maybe your style has RT guitar and you are trying to generate MIDI, or (?)

Attached picture NewMIDI_SGU_RB.jpg
just imported a midi strings track to an RB song that was all RTs. followed the process rharv outlined above (which is what i do anyway) and the strings generated fine.

if that's what you are doing (and the midistyle does indeed contain a midi guitar and not an RT) i'm stumped.
I have had this working in the past. In my current case I hadn't set the track as a midi track before the generation though and I thought that might be the case. So I went back again, set the track as midi, selected a midi style that included the acoustic guitar. Selected Generate Midi, but again got the message the style did not have a guitar part. I tried the string part for the same style and that generated OK.

The style selected was SERENITY - Serenity - Slow 16th Pop Ballad

I can generate Strings and Drums only. The other tracks report that the instrument is not in the style.
I alos followed that same process although originally I hadn't change the new track to MIDI, but now have done this. The style is:

SERENITY - Serenity - Slow 16th Pop Ballad

I can generate the Strings and Drums part but all the others report that the part is not in the current style.
As a follow up to my last reply: I decided to create a new project with the (SERENITY - Serenity - Slow 16th Pop Ballad) that I had added to the previous song where the guitar part was reported to be missing. This time RB had no trouble in creating the guitar midi part!

So ... going back to my previous song, could it be that the original style was all RealTracks? Because that is the only significant difference. Surely the loading of a new style will allow the generation of all the parts of that new style, even if the the prior style had all Real Tracks.
As I read your last question I understand you are using multiple styles in a RealBand song file or sequence. Is this correct?

RealBand (RB) reserves the first eight tracks for Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) MIDI tracks. However, you can use the command to make the first eight BiaB tracks regular tracks and the tracks will become RealBand tracks.

RealBand tracks default to audio tracks. When you start a song with all RealTracks each RealTrack will occupy a RealBand audio track.

If you switch styles and the new style has one or MIDI instruments the MIDI instruments will not have a track to land on unless you have previously changed one or more audio tracks to a MIDI track.

I don't think RealBand is going to automatically change an unused audio track to a MIDI track when you change to a style that includes MIDI.
Hi Jim, yes, I have imported a song that was a RealTrack song in BiaB. I did use the command to make the BBtracks regular tracks (although I'm not sure of the significance of doing that in the current context). I set a new style in the RealBand song and ensured that this did have a Guitar track in it. When I tried to generate the Guitar part I was told that no such part existed in the style.

If I begin a new song in RealBand and use that same midi style, thin there is no problem in creating the Guitar part.

In the past I have used Midi styles in Biab and then imported to RB and I had no problem with generating the parts of another new midi style..
Quote:
If you switch styles and the new style has one or MIDI instruments the MIDI instruments will not have a track to land on unless you have previously changed one or more audio tracks to a MIDI track.

Jim, I don't understand this or I completely miss the point about how a change of styles works in RealBand.

The way I understand this process is that when I open my MGU file that was generated in BiaB then RB will re-create the tracks as they were in BiaB. Now, when I change to another style that contains the instruments for which I want to generate I assume that:

1. Any empty non-BB track can be used to generate midi from this new style. The patterns included in the style are used to generate the notes for this track. So, as long as the style has an instrument then we can have the midi generated. Some instruments of the style WILL generate midi, but others simply report that the instrument not available in the style, despite my knowing that it does.
2. Selecting the unused track to midi prior to generation makes no difference and nor do I think it should, RB knows that midi is to be generated and so should, and does, change the track accordingly.

I started completely afresh with a new project.
My project began in BiaB with the previous style (all Real Tracks:

_INTENT R 4/4 ev16 75 Intent Americana Ballad Folk Country 85

where I added previous melody and soloist tracks

Having saved the MGU in BiaB I now open it in RealBand.

Now change to midi style Melisa2 - Melisa2 - Ev.16 Folk-Rock which hosts and Acoustic Guitar.

I do nothing about the BB tracks and leave the empty tracks at their default Audio

On the first empty Audio track I generate the Guitar part.

Well, what do you know, it created as expected!

All other tracks created with their respective mid parts also.

So, with exactly the same setup on the new song I have the whole thing working as expected.

The only problem I have now is why there was an issue in the first place because I've really changed nothing and wasted everybody's time.
© PG Music Forums