PG Music Home
My old laptop is pushing SSD capacity and just installed 2022 UltraPak upgrade. I use Studio One for DAW and would like to "uninstall" the RealBand part of the package, but can't see any way to do so. I could totally remove everything and unselect RealBand during install, but since I've been BAIB since 2003, I hate to reinstall everything. Any easy way to free up the RB space? TIA.
Just delete the Realband folder, if you have no songs in there
That would save you about 1.6 GB. To save a lot more I would purchase an external USB drive and store all of the RTs and RDs there. YMMV
Or a new laptop with a 2TB SSD.

I like having reasons to buy new toys. But like Mario, YMMV.
Depending on the laptop you might find it has space for a second drive or an internal USB memory stick. The latter are available at 256G, which IIRC is plenty.

It's usually, though not always, also reasonably easy to replace a drive, so you could just fit a new larger drive. That would avoid having things dangling off or sticking out of the laptop, but you'd have to transfer Windows and what have you onto the new drive.

An internet search should show up a how-to on most laptops. The hard part is often learning how to get inside the case.
Thanks for the suggestions! I try to keep about 30% of the SSD free, and since I don't use RB, it sounds OK to delete the folder and any shortcuts. I was worried about BIAB trying to access things in the folder, but sounds like they are pretty independent. Guess I'll have to replace my 800gb SSD with one of those bigger drives one of these days.

Since I mostly use BIAB via the DAW plugin, I'm hoping the plugin doesn't barf if the RB stuff was deleted.
Yep, but my wife has already approved the music budget for 2022 and a new laptop isn't on the list. ;-)
Thanks Gordon,
I know the pain of figuring out how to disassemble the laptop to replace the drive or memory or oil the damn fan. I was just looking to free up a bit of space. I also don't use the superMIDI stuff and will see if I can find another Gb or so to free up there.

PS I am an old fart who started jazz guitar way too late, but I keep pounding the axe as progress seems very slow, but better than not playing.
Realband will try to access things in the BB folder, but I'm pretty sure the opposite is not true.
In Other Words, I think you can install BiaB without RB, but trying to install RB without BiaB would be problematic, or more likely impossible.
If worried, just rename the folder first .. if nothing blows up you can safely delete it.

I say this because I have installed older versions of RB and it didn't affect BiaB at all.
.. and also from a bit of beta testing knowledge over the years
So I just rebuild my old laptop and my 2012 Mac mini. What I did for a very reasonable cost is I bought a cloning cable for about $10 and a 1 tb SSD drive and cloned my old drive to it. Now I have a fast new drive with extra space. The drive cost $89 for for right at $100 I have what I need.

I then did the same to my Mac and it is like a new one. 1 TB SSD drive and 16 gig ram make the old gal feel young again.
© PG Music Forums