PG Music Home
Posted By: ShawnR Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/23/22 10:52 PM
Greetings,

BIAB automatically assigns a reverb of "40" to the jazz style tracks I have been using, but I can also hear that there is no automatic reverb assignment in RB. What is the reverb setting required in RB to replicate the "40" reverb setting in BIAB?

Thanks,
Shawn
Posted By: rharv Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/24/22 10:13 AM
Not sure what you mean.
If you open RB Mixer screen and right click a MIDI track Reverb it usually is defaulted to 40.
Posted By: ShawnR Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/24/22 01:06 PM
I guess I should clarify that I am working with RealTracks. BIAB will automatically apply a reverb - in this case '40' - to RealTracks. While I do see a reverb setting (also 40) when expanding a RB track, my understanding is that this only applies to midi tracks. This understanding is consistent with what I hear as listening to the isolated RB track makes clear that no reverb is automatically applied to RB-generated RealTracks.

I know I can apply reverb to RealTracks in RB; I'm simply trying to find out which of the stock reverb settings within RB ("Small Room Bright", "Medium Room Low Density", etc.) is the setting that most closely approximates the '40' setting in BIAB.

Thanks,
Shawn
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/24/22 06:01 PM
i think if you open a BIAB file in RB you lose the fx - reverb and eq that BIAB builds into the style.

but if you drag and drop the master button to the wav drop area and then when the wavs have all been generated drag the wavs in to RB you'll get audio tracks with the original BIAB fx incl reverb.

i always make sure that when i open RB, the blank RB track has the same key set as the BIAB file and the same bpm. only drawback is that the chords don't transfer over so you'll have to reinterpret them and they don't always match the BIAB chords you entered exactly (at least that's what i've found). BUT if you don't need to generate new tracks - jsut record vocal or such then that doesn't matter.

i'm sure more expert BIAB and RB users can give you some more advice.

you'll need to use the DAW setting in BIAB to make the window smaller and to keep it on top when you are dragging and dropping but tis all in the manual.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/24/22 06:03 PM
and by the way, the 40% only works with midi tracks - the 40% is a instruction to the synth you are using. RealTracks are audio and the fx are audio fx
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/25/22 05:35 AM
to Bob Calver
re opening BIAB in RB.
I find it easier to right click the MGU file and instruct it to open in RealBand.
That way the Chords, Part Markers, Tempo changes etc are all kept in place.
There are various options within BIAB to control the tracks that open, (I think MIDi tracks open by default) Options for RealTracks are for stereo/mono, with/without Fx, Normalize etc. I Drag&Drop RTs separately because I sometimes regenerate individual tracks with Holds, Slight chord variations etc.
Hope this is of help.

Vintage
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/25/22 11:14 AM
thanks Vintage but i'm pretty sure that that method still loses the fx and eq as they are generated in the BIAB program

i have thought of using a sort of hybrid method - open the BIAB file in RB, delete all the tracks and then reopen the file in BIAB and drop and drag the individual wavs across. cumbersome but all the fx and eqs would be intact as well as the chord sheet, bpm and key setting. anyone got a better idea?
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/25/22 12:12 PM
mmmmmmmmm just experimented with drop and drag and the fx seem to disappear.....certainly BIAB sounds 'livelier'

any comments on whether i got it right? RB seems to play back at a lower volume and the mix seems a little differnt - drums more to the fore
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/25/22 04:54 PM
to Bob Calver
Have you tried the options for WAV export.
On the older display showing all the icons it's along the top row, you have SAVE, SAVE AS, MID, then .WAV,
This opens to Export Song as Audio File, selecting this gives the various options for Mono/Stereo, Tracks flat dry and centre, etc.
Personally I prefer to use Mono and FD&C then add Fx in DAW but I have experimented with this in the past and have been able to Drag&Drop with Fx and Stereo placement.

Vintage
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/27/22 02:46 PM
OK simple experiment. If you put biab default reverb on aux1 and set to 100% wet the aux 1 knobs on the mixer strip for realtracks is set to 40 - I think its a hangover from midi only days. Starting with a biab song and a blank rb project I set the rb to the right bpm and key. Dragged the biab master to the wav drop station. Centre and dry is NOT checked for wav files. Drag into rb and I get tracks with fx and reverb. Reanalyse chords gives me my chords with only a minor need to correct. So, all good.
But I have noticed rb plays a little lower in volume than biab. Maybe pg music apply compression to the master output? Just guessing and probably wrong. But I now have a way to go from biab to rb. All I need to do is turn up the speakers on rb to sound just like the biab track.
No need to add reverb as it crosses over from biab
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: Reverb BIAB vs Reverb RB? - 07/27/22 08:51 PM
I've also noticed the lower vol in RB compared with BIAB and always assumed it was some setting I was missing, but it never bothered me enough to investigate.

Glad the Fx etc have worked for you.

Vintage
© PG Music Forums