PG Music Home
Posted By: SmoothJohn Recording two audio tracks simultaneously - 10/11/22 02:08 PM
Hello. I am trying to record two audio tracks (instrument and microphone) to two separate tracks. My interface is the Scarlett 8i6.

RealBand shows that it will record Input 1 plus Input 2, but I see no way to
1. Separate them
2. Record them to different tracks.
(How do I insert a screen shot?)

Under ASIO Audio Drivers I have

Input Ports
(0,1) Input 1 + Input 2

Output Ports
(0,1) Output 1 + Output 2

Surely there is a way to record both tracks separately.

John
SJ.

notice in the audio drivers dialogue...

if you have input (MIDDLE OF DIALOG) set to LEFT OR RIGHT. set to 2 track instead.. press help in dialog for info on all settings etc.

does that work ??

if still problems post back pics of your settings under the rb AUDIO TAB in preferences.

best

om
Thanks for the note. "Input channels for MONO tracks" is selected as "L+R (2 Tracks)"

Curiously, both input channels do record (but not separately) but the Guitar Tuner only responds to Channel 1; channel 2 shows no signal.

Sorry to be high-maintenance, but I don't see how to post an image. I can't copy and paste into the dialog box, and the Insert Image wants a picture from the web. How do I do this?

John
SJ.

(note to post pics clik REPLY ..THEN NOTICE FILE MANAGER at bottom.)

is this your scarlett ??

https://focusrite.com/en/audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-8i6

i assume you have focusrite control app installed ?

NOTICE PAGE 15 example in FR manual. which outlines what your trying to do ??
notice the input settings page ? and setting for instrument input.

do you have anything muted in focusrite control ?

in setting up on pc …the 3 main areas to be aware of are win, the daw software (in this case rb) and also if the sound device used has its own settings (in this case called focusrite control.) those settings also.

please note , if still probs post following info // pics.

1..pic of win recording//playback settings including advanced tab.
2..a pic showing your asio driver settings in rb preferences.
i assume youve , in traks window set traks to mono.
3..if you notice you right clik in trks view and there are a couple of settings there also for sound device assigned and port in the loooong menu…. please post back what those settings are too just for safety.
4..please post also a pic of your focusrite control settings.

the above will also help pg support help you also.

now i'm gonna go read the fr manual more and about fr user control and see what i can glean further.
so i might amend this post later.

best

om

ps if your new to focusrite control this might be usefull,...

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-to-use-focusrite-control/

also there are various you tube vids.
Thank you again for your help, OM.

To my great amusement (and slight embarrassment) I might not have a problem at all. When I record stereo, Input 1 is the left channel and Input 2 is the right channel.

When I record mono, RB is smarter than me and creates a left channel and a right channel. In fact, it even labels them "Audio - Left Channel" and "Audio - Right Channel". Real band appears to be doing what I want, but because it's (slightly) automated, I didn't see it. Wild.

The final mystery is the guitar tuner--it only reads from Input 1--which is a bit odd.

Thanks again, I'll come back if I'm further baffled.

John
SJ.

glad you got it working.

rb has some nifty features ive never seen in another daw
music production software.
particularly 'for me' the many trak generation features etc when i right clik over a trak and use the looong menu that pops up.
also the bars window for not only doing neat editing triks within a trak , but also even moving or copying trak data from one trak to another. and also lots of other neat features if one 'delves' into the pg vids and
the user guides.

fyi (and anyone else new to pg reading this)..i sorta think of rb like this…

"remember at school or university when everyone often was attracted to the 'in crowd' ? BUT then off to one side was this person who, if one took the time to get to know them , turned out to be a great long term friend cos of their depth ?"

this is realband imho. it might not be the 'prettiest' music software , but ive found over the years some really neat features 'under the hood' and depth that not even reaper that i love (for different reasons) has.

i wish you every success in song production.

best

om

OM
It's a real day-brightener to receive help from a kind and generous person.

I must admit that I'm baffled by the way that RB handles the input, but I am pleased with the result.

Take care

John
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording two audio tracks simultaneously - 10/12/22 07:54 PM
The trick is
A. set the target track to MONO
B. set the L&R option for MONO tracks mentioned above
C. select however many inputs you want to record

Then RB does what (to me) is intuitive; it records each track on a MONO track. If you enable 8 inputs on your interface, as we often do, it will record 8 MONO tracks.
So you can have a L/R piano on 2 tracks, and a bass on one track, and vocal, harmonica, sax or whatever on other individual tracks.

Most DAWs do this, RB just does it a little differently.
Pick a target track as MONO, and it handles the rest and creates 8 individual MONO tracks .. and is smart enough to use the next available blank track, so it doesn't overwrite any tracks that may have been in the 'next 8 tracks' if they have data.
© PG Music Forums