PG Music Home
I'm playing around with a new pedal, a TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 (VL3). I want to send a midi track from RB to the VL3 to control harmonies. When I open the RB MIDI Driver Setup screen and select the VL3 as one of the output drivers, I get the following pop-up message in RB:

"There is not enough memory available for this task. Quite one or more applications to increase available memory and try again."

According to the WIN Task Manager, I am only using 13% of a total of 32 gig of my computer's memory.

What is this error trying to tell me?

Is there a limitation in RB as to the amount of memory it can handle? I'm using the 64 bit RB so I would think that there is plenty of memory available.

Never seen this error message before. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Jeff
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Not enough Memory Error in Realband? - 01/17/23 03:31 PM
rather than set the vl3 as a driver can you set it the same way you would set a specific vst for an individual track? ie sforzando as opposed to the default synth? does the vl3 show up?

complete guess of course but will take 30 secs to try it. assuming there is a chord track in RB - I know BIAB can send chord info
Posted By: rharv Re: Not enough Memory Error in Realband? - 01/17/23 08:20 PM
https://support.image-line.com/action/knowledgebase?ans=601

//First hit on Google, my Google-Fu is strong tonight
///Link appears to be for FL Studio but it is the MIDI error explanation
Good thoughts guys, appreciate it. More experiments today! New equipment can be such a pain!

Jeff
OK, finally figured out what's going on here. The not only affects RB...but every other DAW I use: Cakewalk and Reaper.

I'm using a Helicon Voicelive 3 to drive harmonies from a MIDI track in my DAW's. I've set one of the outputs on the DAW to the VoiceLive 3 and directed the harmony track to the Voicelive. No problems, harmony track is going to the Voicelive and I can see the Natural Play light confirming that MIDI is being received. Vocals are perfect.

Here's where it gets weird. I also have a software Voicelive Editor from the guy over in England. I also use his Editors on two other Helicon units: Voicelive Touch and Perfrom VK...no issues with these. These Editors are absolutely indispensable for navigating the many layers in the VoiceLive 3. If I try to open the Editor while the song is stopped in Realband, the Editor refuses to open. If I shut down Realband, I can immediately open the Editor and it will establish full functions in the VoiceLive.

On the other hand, if I start up the Editor and its controlling the Voicelive and then start Realband and add the Voicelive as an output, I get the error message that there's not enough memory to run the Voicelive. Seriously?...with 32 gig of memory!

It seems that the Editor completely takes control of the Voicelive and will not let any other device share it.

I've look at running by midi only, running by USB only, look into Win exclusive mode. I've even stripped down my system such that only my computer, RB, my audio interface (Focurite 8i6) and the Voicelive are running.

Can't make heads or tails of this. Have never seen a software completely take over a piece of hardware and exclude any other use of it. Don't think it's a DAW issue as it happens in all 3 of my DAW's. Can't be a Win Exclusive issue as that's turned off for everything I can turn it off on.

Anybody got any ideas about this? The developer over in England seems willing to work with me on this problem but we can't figure out what the problem is.

Jeff
Is there any reason you need to run the editor at the same time as when you have RealBand connected? A MIDI driver can only be used by one program at a time as far as I know so isn't that what the problem is here? What is the specific error message that you get in other DAWs like Cakewalk?
Hi Andrew, yes actually there is a reason to run both at the same time. Rightly or wrongly, my band uses RB and the Helicon units live, controlling both harmonies and up to 7 synths. We use the Editors to setup setlists and click through the settings from one song to the next. Not the most efficient, I understand, but old habits are hard to break.

Jeff
Problem solved! You cannot mix midi-over-USB and MIDI 5 pin DIN's on the same unit...simply as that. Duh!

Here's how it all worked out for those interested:

Using a MOTU Microlite MIDI interface, I am running my DX7 keyboard into Port 1, the Motif rack in and out to Port 2 and the VL3x in and out to Port 4. I split the DIN out of Port 4 to drive another Helicon Perform VK that another member is using. Then run the VL3 Editor in MIDI mode with the USB cable disconnected.

Running melody, guitar and drum tracks from the DAW to the Motif and out to the audio interface and speakers, running a harmony track from the DAW to the VL3x and Perform VK with mics and harmonies that we sing. One Helicon unit goes back to the audio interface, the other out to a members mixing board....works great. On The Editor, have full functions…a little slower to load via MIDI versus USB/MIDI, but once the presets are loaded, changes and modifications are quick and easy.

Jeff
© PG Music Forums