PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob Calver where has the tuner gone? [Resolved] - 01/24/23 02:20 PM
i sued to be able to launch a tuner that generated notes for each sring so i could tune my guitar. now all i can find is one that seems to want me to plug a guitar into BIAB or RB.

is the old tuner available and can i send a shortcut to the desktop?
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/24/23 04:02 PM
The tuner is:
C:\RealBand\$$rbtuner.exe

It is the same whether you launch it from the Guitar Tuner button in RealBand, or if you just double-click on the .exe
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/25/23 09:17 AM
tried that andrew - that's what i was doing originally. i get an error saying 'no wav input devices are installed in windows.'

a third party tuning app works fine and so does audacity and rb and biab. when i referred to plugging in an electric gitar i wondered if the missing wav device could refer to an input signal.

same problem using the tuner icon in biab. what i like about the rb tuners is the continuous tone it outputs which helps tune the guitar raher than single note which died away

i have no recording source enabled in windows as i use a usb interface when i do record. and i don't want to plug anything else in

used to work fine but i haven't used it for a while

Posted By: Bob Calver Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/25/23 09:28 AM
and i also get an access violation msg at address 00402306 referring to the file name and read of address is 000006..........might be an exztra zero its a small msg
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/25/23 01:05 PM
Never knew this existed and when I copied and pasted the above link it worked fine.

...Deb
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/25/23 03:31 PM
Looked in the manual and it said about the tuner button............

This launches the Guitar Tuner, which lets you tune a guitar or other instrument plugged into the mic-in or line-in of soundcard.

so the tuner itself has changed - it used to appear and let you play tones to tune to that came out of the speakers. now it seems to respond to mic or line input like a hardware tuner.

that means i was right about needing to plug in a guitar. Andrew - has it changed? anyone else remember the way it used to be?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/25/23 05:02 PM
Bob,

I found two tuner files in the RealBand folder, $rbtuner.exe and $$rbtuner.exe. Both files share the date of 11/30/2019 and the size of 754 KB.

When I select the "Tones" button the "Generate Tones" window opens. I've found sometimes any selection has to be confirmed in the Generate Tones window before the generator produces a tone.

Description: $$rbtuner.exe & $rbtuner.exe
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/25/23 05:22 PM
Quote:
Andrew - has it changed?

No, it hasn't changed in a (very) long time.

It's just as Jim says above. It should still be able to generate tones..
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/25/23 07:44 PM
But all I get is the error message about no wav device. The graphic of the tuner does not appear. I'll see if I can find the other file.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/25/23 08:04 PM
Bob,

Check the RealBand audio input and output settings. I think the tuner is seeking an audio input and is telling you there is no active input.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/26/23 01:08 PM
you are right Jim no input driver selected for audio. but i don't input audio unless i plug in my usb interface. and i don't have any recording options set on my windows control panel sound.

enabling a source which i don't use in windows control panel recording offers me an input driver. i select it and i get the tuner.

however i can get by with a third party tuner app. so can you advise me if i leave the desktop mic (the device i don't use - its part of my webcam) connected will it affect my recordings in future that i make with the usb interface? i remember in the past i had dreadful feedback problems. the mic doesn't seem to input any signal according to the RB input meter.

and when i record i change the driver to ASIO and select the input and output for my usb interface.

so can i leave the unwanted mic as a recording source in windows without affecting anything in RB and get my tuner back?

advice appreciated and thanks so far
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/26/23 02:36 PM
You're right, that is the same in my testing. The tuner complains if there aren't any input devices available in Windows.

Specifically, in the Windows sound settings (this is the dialog you get when you press WindowsButton+R and type mmsys.cpl), on the Recording tab, there needs to be one item that is available (both enabled and not disconnected). Stereo mix might be an option if you don't have anything else connected. I'm not sure if this will have an impact on your recording with the USB interface / ASIO drivers?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/26/23 04:00 PM
Like many laptops, my laptop has a built-in microphone and camera for webcam operation. I put a piece of clear tape over my built-in microphone. That reduces the sensitively enough that it doesn't interfere with normal recording operation unless you tap on the mic. It also picks up keystrokes if you are a heavy hitter of keys on the keyboard.

I'd say taping over the webcam mic is worth a try if you want to use the tuner. The worse that can happen is it doesn't work for you.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: where has the tuner gone? - 01/26/23 05:47 PM
thanks everyone - at least we know whythe problem occurs. rather than enable an input i don't want and sticking tape over it i'll use the third party tuner app. when i record i'll use the usb interface as normal.

i've used the tuner in the past and recorded as well so i'm not sure if anything has changed on my pc or whether RB now acts slightly differently
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: where has the tuner gone? [Resolved] - 02/18/23 11:49 AM
Bob,

You can access the tuner icon by collapsing the "markers" toolbar. You collapse a toolbar by clicking on the toolbar label. Clicking on a toolbar label a second time expands the toolbar back to full size. +++ HERE +++ is a post that demonstrates the idea. I've also posted a screen shot below.

Description: Collapse "Marker" toolbar to expose tuner icon.
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
© PG Music Forums