PG Music Home
Posted By: Rob Helms Freeze buttons - 12/29/23 02:05 PM
Freeze/unfreeze should be a button on each track not a buried command two layers deep in the right click window. This way if you import a song from BiaB you can tell immediately if it was frozen.

Similar to the BiaB mixer only on the tracks view.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Freeze buttons - 12/29/23 06:45 PM
I'm not disagreeing but would like more information. One of the big differences between Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is how they approach generation and regeneration. Band-in-a-Box can automatically initiate regeneration when the program senses a change in the song file. RealBand regenerates only at user request. Why is a freeze button needed?
Posted By: rharv Re: Freeze buttons - 12/29/23 11:36 PM
I think he said so if you open a BiaB file you can tell if a track was frozen when saved in BiaB ..
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Freeze buttons - 12/30/23 02:46 AM
rharv, That is also how I understand the suggestion.

I'm asking for more information about why the suggestion was made, what prompted Rob to think RealBand tracks need a freeze snowflake? How will having freeze snowflakes on each track help a RealBand user since Band-in-a-Box and RealBand approach regeneration differently.

I suspect the event that prompted +++ this thread +++ initiated the suggestion. But I may be wrong and the two threads may be unrelated.

Presently RealBand does not recognize frozen or unfrozen track status on a SGU file created in Band-in-a-Box. I suspect Rob actually wants three RealBand wishlist requests, (1) RealBand to recognize the frozen or unfrozen status of all tracks in a SGU file created in Band-in-a-Box, (2) have a snowflake symbol visibly report the frozen or unfrozen status of the SGU file and (3) reconstruct all frozen tracks so they will be the same as they are in Band-in-a-Box.

Here again, I likely am way off base. That is why I'm requesting Rob provide more detail.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Freeze buttons - 12/30/23 03:44 AM
Jim. i brought over a demo .SGU file to Realband, it recognized the frozen tracks, only by opening up the tracks right click menu. Having freeze buttons would give that information upfront without a bunch of digging to find out and also give the ability to release that without having to go in and release each one separately.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Freeze buttons - 12/31/23 02:00 AM
+1 Thanks for the additional information Rob.
Posted By: rharv Re: Freeze buttons - 01/05/24 12:27 AM
How I deal with it here is a simple method, but probably not for everyone.
Once I open a BiaB file in RB I am done generating the whole song all the time.

So I simply use the Make All Tracks regular Tracks option.
Then RB generates whatever track(s) & sections I select. Essentially it is a reverse workflow.
RB generates nothing unless you specifically select the track(s)/region. Otherwise, why did you leave BiaB at that point(?)
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Freeze buttons - 01/13/24 03:56 AM
Bob, i do exactly the same thing.
© PG Music Forums