PG Music Home
Maybe ive got things wrong and need to RTM but it seems to me that currently it is quite awkward to mix the use of a general GM2 Virtual instrument module for BIAB tracks, while at the same time using ones own VI plugins to create ones own MIDI based tracks, say in Lounge Lizard, Kontakt, Ivory etc..

This is because when in the MIDI Driver Setup panel, one turns on the “Re-Route MIDI playback to default DXI/VSTi synth" option,
ALL MIDI sent from a keyboard will go to the selected module, whether Coyote or - say BANDSTAND.

This means that when have this option on, as soon as set a user MIDI track to a dedicated VSTI and play my keyboard, the MIDI plays the GM module and NOT the
VSTI set to the track.

The only way around this at the moment seems to be to deselect the above option and then MANUALLY set each BIAB track to use the current default multitimbral GM module, Coyote or BANDSTAND, and then one can set other tracks to MIDI and then the desired vsti, Ivory or whatever. ( But this is, it seems to me to be laborious, unless theres some hidden workaround or solution for this )

It would be FAR BETTER if the “Re-Route MIDI playback to default
DXI/VSTi synth “ option were changed to ( and support ) “Route ALL BIAB MIDI Tracks to the default VSTi”.
Alternately this needs to be added as a new option.

I think a drop down menu is needed instead with the following options”

“Re-Route ALL MIDI tracks and input to default DXI/VSTi synth”
“Automatically Re-Route only BIAB generated MIDI tracks and to default DXI/VSTi synth on loading a new BIAB style/song”
“Dont route any MIDI tracks to any VSTI - i’ll do this myself”

To go along with this scheme i also really think we need a new track category, “Virtual Instrument” , which would be a MIDI track, but - whereas currently in the MIXER, the MIXER displays pan, reverb and chorus knobs which are designed to currently just send GM2 control messages to the multitimbral GM module,
instead of this a dedicated “Virtual Instrument” track should look and behave like an AUDIO mixer track, and have knobs for the AUX SEND KNOBS.

This would then behave very much like Logic instrument tracks do. In other words we get options in the mixer to process our VSTI using channelstrip plugins and audi sends to the main reverb.

Currently there ARE send knobs for a dedicated VSTI MIDI track in RealBand, but those knobs only appear in the "EDIT DXi/VSTi” button window.
Instead the AUX1 AUX2, PAN and TRIM knobs that are shown in this dialog should be appear in the track area, on the left hand, next to or below the
“Edit DXi/VSTi..” button, as well as in the main MIXER channel strip for this VSTI.
Quote:

The only way around this at the moment seems to be to deselect the above option and then MANUALLY set each BIAB track to use the current default multitimbral GM module

To accomplish this in an easier way, set one track to the desired VSTi, then right click and "set all MIDI tracks to (VSTi port here)"

Then change the couple you want different.
Quote:

To accomplish this in an easier way, set one track to the desired VSTi, then right click and "set all MIDI tracks to (VSTi port here)"
Then change the couple you want different.

but what if i decide to have several custom MIDI tracks with my VSTIs ?

I then have to reset all my custom VSTI tracks again!.

And what if i want to import a different style based on MIDI tracks from BIAB ?.

This whole track business is quite non-user friendly not to say tedious.

Heres one simple improvement. If we desire to change an audio track to a MIDI custom VSTi one, currently this needs two stages, first we
change the track type, then we set the track to the VSTI plugin we desire. This should be a SINGLE operation.
Good point about making the synth selection part of the Track type change. I can see that one being helpful.

However, if you are indeed going to "have several custom MIDI tracks with my VSTIs " then you would have to set them up individually anyway, right? How would RB know which synth you want? I guess I'm not following the issue for that. When you want a different synth you select a different port and assign the synth. Once that is done you can just set other tracks to that port if you want that synth.
© PG Music Forums