PG Music Home
Posted By: rharv A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 11/16/11 06:52 PM
Here's my idea;
Since DR-005 and DR008 are now discontuned, and the company has actually given me permission to freely distribute DR-005 .. Why not have a way to customize the realdrums? The tracks already have individually recorded 'samples' in them. If there was a built in module to allow playing the realdrum recordings as 'samples' using existing MIDI drum styles (even) that would be pretty awesome. It would allow panning, volume and velocity switching of the GM drumset (ideally) inside a DXi or VSTi type plugin, but using the realdrum recordings. Then certain sections or whole songs could be customized and match the realdrum sounds. Having the ability to make the realdrums do exactly what we want sometimes would be a great feature. I realize this would be very difficult for other realtracks (like guitar) but for drums it should be a 'doable' thing.

I think this would be a great selling point/upgrade to existing features.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 11/16/11 08:56 PM
Great Idea ! 1+
Posted By: rharv Re: A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 11/16/11 10:03 PM
I'd even volunteer to edit a few realdrum recordings to create the samples for the plugin player. This seems like an often requested thing; the ability to customize the drums..
Great idea Rharv. Might also have some functionality with some of the bass Realtracks.

Terry
Hi, you mean RealDrumCharts ? Like is this post "Real" RealCharts

Bob..
Posted By: rharv Re: A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 12/26/11 01:03 PM
Not at all. I was talking about having the sounds of the realdrums be available as separate samples (per drum) inside a drum module. I'd go ahead and make one, but it's likely creeping into the copyright infringement area.. I'd be using their recordings to make a new product, as opposed to creating a song.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 12/27/11 12:31 PM
could loops be used to do this? I was looking through my loops library last night... there are scads of commercially available drum loops, many of them individual drums at different intervals that could be set up on individual tracks and tweaked differently.

And the RB-2012 new features video showed an example of saving a portion of a realtrack to reuse as a loop... I guess the same thing could be done to a realdrum snippet?

Once you had the snippets of individual drum samples,you'd be there.

And unless you were selling theidea as a product, I doubt there would be any repercussions.
Posted By: rharv Re: A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 12/27/11 11:18 PM
If I'm going to do it I'd like to make most of the necessary GM sounds so it works for everybody .. don't have a large enough sampler.. was hoping maybe PGMusic would like the idea and build it..

A sampler triggers a wav file for a duration of time at a certain pitch, that's all it does really (along with incorporating velocity, etc and other basic midi info). So you could trigger a loop as easily as anything else, I would presume. Barring any bitrate issues (etc.) that would hold true for any wav file.
In my head I envision realtracks just triggering a section of a wav file like a sampler, but with more intelligence. Using the existing stretch/pitch engine to add a sample player would be huge IMO, especially with the mentioned realdrum samples...
Posted By: Tommyc Re: A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 01/04/12 01:28 PM
I have used the Real Drum individual hits that are in the track files to make cymbals naturally decay and bass drum , high-hat combos for shots. I have made sampler songs with NI Battery ,so I know it's not that hard . Here's a sample. lol in advance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNuJFCIbYYw&feature=g-upl&context=G268cfecAUAAAAAAAKAA
Posted By: rharv Re: A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 01/08/12 03:47 PM
Yep, pretty easy..
This was talked about a lot during the original beta test of the RD's four years ago. I'm pretty sure the answer was these recordings were done as full stereo kits, not individual drums so you can't separate the parts of the kit even if PG was willing to try. How do you record a hi hat or ride cymbal when a drummer is playing the full kit and not pick up some snare and kick? And then why would you want to anyway? I know there are a few individual hits in the RD folders but not enough to create a whole kit that you can use to create a full drum track. There's only enough there for some special effects we've talked about before.

I have Jamstix, the sound quality of those JS kits are fully equivalent to the RD's especially the Yamaha Studio Drums kit.

Bob
Posted By: rharv Re: A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 01/27/12 04:14 AM
Quite a few of the actual RD wma files have individual drum samples toward the end.. apparently done intentionally.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: A way to use Realdrums inside a sampler - 06/30/12 02:45 AM
This is such a GOOD idea, I thought it might could use a Bump!
© PG Music Forums