PG Music Home
Posted By: jford Tempo Normalize - 01/05/13 05:59 PM
I'm posting in the RealBand wishlist, but it applies to Band-in-a-Box, as well.

It would be really nice if you could run ACW on an audio file that I imported in and marked all the bar lines, and then having the program stretch/shrink the audio within each bar to match a specified whole number bar tempo.

For example, when I click on F8 to mark the bar lines in an audio file, I'll often end up with something like the following:

Bar 1 - 120.5 bpm
Bar 2 - 120.2 bpm
Bar 3 - 121.0 bpm
Bar 4 - 119.7 bpm
Bar 5 - 119.4 bpm
Bar 6 - 119.7 bpm
Bar 7 - 120.3 bpm
Bar 8 - 119.9 bpm

I could then tell RB/BIAB that I want the tempo of the song to be 120 bpm and it would adjust each individual measure by either shrinking or stretching the audio to end up with a steady 120 bpm throughout the song. For that matter, it would seem that th4ere shouldn't even be a reason why it couldn't be 140 bpm.

Since RB/BIAB can today adjust audio tempos up or down now, this should just be a math problem, but instead of adjusting the entire song, it would adjust each bar until all the bars have a constant tempo.

This could really help with, for example, recording some free form playing, but then adding in accompaniment parts, especially for those of us who aren't blessed with a solid internal metronome.

I hope this made sense.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Tempo Normalize - 01/08/13 07:30 PM
jford:

It makes perfect sense to me.
Not sure about stretching it out to 140.
I realize you can do that stretching on existing RealTracks and it seems like you should be able to work the same magic on ANY digital audio, but, one never knows.

Anyway, +1

LLOYD S
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Tempo Normalize - 01/09/13 02:25 AM
+1 !!!

I dream of this feature every time I use the ACW
Posted By: multitracker Re: Tempo Normalize - 01/12/13 11:40 PM
For sure, this would be a great addition.

Terry
Posted By: silvertones Re: Tempo Normalize - 01/14/13 09:29 PM
I know what your after but the reason you want to do it can already be done if I get you right.I produced/engineered/master an album for a band. They refused to use a click track. Fine.Then on a couple of the tunes I wanted to add some RTs.I ran the song through the ACW using the F8 key on each measure. I ended up with a wildly variable tempo map however once I imported the song to RB, when I added the RTs they(RTs) changed tempo each measure to match the tempo map.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Tempo Normalize - 01/15/13 07:05 AM
John is that due to the elastique feature?
Posted By: silvertones Re: Tempo Normalize - 01/15/13 03:13 PM
Quote:

John is that due to the elastique feature?

I guess.It worked great though. These guys tune was all over the place and it put the RT right on the money. The real trick though is when you're doing the F8 thing in ACW is hitting F8 right on the beat.Tricky when the tempo is swinging real bad.You have to watch the wav form and eventually get to know what the 1 beat looks like.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Tempo Normalize - 01/15/13 05:03 PM
That makes sense. I have used the ACW a few times and sometimes i get stellar results sometimes not so. It is a great tool though
Posted By: rharv Re: Tempo Normalize - 01/20/13 08:13 PM
I'll vouch for the RT's adapting to the tempo map.
Works a treat here. I understand wanting to 'average' it, but it does generate along with the existing tempo track very well. Most of the time if you do the F8 routine accurately it works very well (as John mentioned). Most of my tempo tracks (if ran through ACW) have many more numbers after the decimal point than jford's example. Yet RT's follow it with no problem.

Being able to average it (or sections of it) would be cool though.
© PG Music Forums