PG Music Home
RealBand defaults to the file type *.*SU when a Band-in-a-Box file is imported. This means a user can work extensively on a file then forget to use "Save As" and not save the file as a *.SEQ file before closing.

It would be beneficial to have the RealBand save functions default to the *.SEQ file format in all cases. If a user desires to save a file as a sgu or mgu file type, then of course those options need to remain available but I think I've made a strong case for RealBand to default to SEQ.

Note: edited to correct typo noticed by rharv. Thanks rharv!
Posted By: rharv Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 12/20/15 11:58 AM
I think you meant
"This means a user can work extensively on a file then forget to use "Save As" and *NOT* save the file as a *.SEQ file before closing."

+1 if so, as this causes lost work.
Posted By: jford Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 12/21/15 03:58 PM
+1

I think RealBand should always default to .SEQ (and have asked for this in the past). You can always change it to whatever you want, but how many times have folks, for example, loaded a MIDI file, then inadvertently saved it back as a MIDI file (because it defaulted to the original file type), and then lost all their effects settings. Similarly for BIAB file types.

"Save" and "Save As" should be the RealBand (and by extension, PTPA) ".SEQ" file format. Anything else, I view as "export to" the different format.
+1
Posted By: rharv Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 12/23/15 09:40 PM
Think of it like this; the next time I open the project in a PGMusic product I want it to sound like it did the last time I opened it in the same PGMusic product.

If I open it elsewhere and find it has changed, at least I can go back to the seq file and re-save it to the format I need.
As it is now there is no option to recover .. the previous work can be lost forever.

Therefore it is best practice.
Frankly I would prefer to be able to save a project as a midi file and not lose my settings. The only reason I would need to save as a SEQ file is to work with audio. Just a thought that drifted out of my head. laugh
Posted By: jford Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 12/30/15 03:37 PM
The problem, Russ, is that a MIDI file won't save any information about effects (VST or DX) or alternate softsynths (VSTi or DXi) you may have used, nor any track automation you have set. The MIDI file format doesn't support any of that. That's why you need a SEQ file for even MIDI tracks.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 12/30/15 04:18 PM
Let's look at the opposite side of the underlying issue. How awkward would it be if you imported a standard midi file into Band-in-a-Box, made a bunch of changes to the midi and when you decided to save the song instead of saving a sgu or mgu song file the program defaulted to mid loosing both your changes as well as corrupting your original source file.

That's what happens in RealBand by default. You import sgu or mgu song file, make changes, add audio, go to save your work, loose your work and corrupt your source file.

The standard file type for RealBand is SEQ. Other file types are supported but work has to be saved in a SEQ file for everything to be saved. It makes sense for the save function to default to the file type that saves all the project information.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 01/03/16 09:07 PM
+1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 01/17/16 03:13 AM
+1
This is definitely a more practical way to operate.
Posted By: larrymagee Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/19/16 02:18 AM
+1 default to .SEQ
Definitely +1 from me!
Thanks
Posted By: boydbob Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/22/17 12:19 AM
Mostly agree. I frequently open BiaB files in RB and I've learned the hard way to do a "Save as".

For those who aren't sure, why not have:

A way to choose the default "Save" file type
And/Or
A warning box if the file is about to be saved in a format different than the original file
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/23/17 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: boydbob
Mostly agree. I frequently open BiaB files in RB and I've learned the hard way to do a "Save as".

For those who aren't sure, why not have:

A way to choose the default "Save" file type
And/Or
A warning box if the file is about to be saved in a format different than the original file

Hi boydbob,

Good news! The automatically save a file as SEQ feature was added in a RealBand 2017 update. Press Cntrl + F5, or go to "Options" > "Preferences ...", to open the options menu then click on the "Audio" tab. You will find a "save as SEQ" checkbox has been added to the bottom of the "Audio" tab. I do not remember if the checkbox defaults to checked or unchecked.

Attached picture RB 2017 Save As SEQ Checkbox.jpg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/23/17 03:57 PM
Tiny correction: It's the 'File' tab.

And the default is unchecked, so you need to turn it on.

Good tip, BTW.
Posted By: jford Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/23/17 04:36 PM
I think the default should be checked. It just doesn't make sense that RealBand would be used to create files mostly destined to go back to BIAB.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/23/17 05:28 PM
Yes it should be default, I went to save and SGU came up, I thought I had that checked then I just remembered It had a CRASH so it lost it.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/26/17 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Tiny correction: It's the 'File' tab.

And the default is unchecked, so you need to turn it on.

Good tip, BTW.

VideoTrack,

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't look at the photo and the thread at the same time and my mind switched tabs when I switched screens. Senior moment I guess blush

Also thanks for sharing the default state, The user manual hasn't been updated to reflect this new feature and my BiaB is MUCH more stable and crash resistant than it use to be. (THANK YOU PG MUSIC for your continuing effort to make BiaB and RB more stable!)

JFord & Pipeline,

I believe someone from PG Music stated the default is unchecked so the default feature operation is the same as what people are used to. Perhaps once users are more aware of the feature and checked becomes the new "norm" PG Music will change the default state.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/27/17 03:06 AM
If you save to SEQ you can still save to every other format from that but not vice versa. It should be automatic no option that comes un-checked when it crashes.

Attached picture RB_SEQ-Default.jpg
Posted By: jford Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/27/17 02:40 PM
People may be used to it, but why take the chance of losing your hard work because you didn't notice which format it was being saved as. SEQ format ensures you don't lose any work.
Posted By: rharv Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 02/28/17 09:40 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
(posted last year) - Think of it like this; the next time I open the project in a PGMusic product I want it to sound like it did the last time I opened it in the same PGMusic product.

If I open it elsewhere and find it has changed, at least I can go back to the seq file and re-save it to the format I need.
As it is now there is no option to recover .. the previous work can be lost forever.

Therefore it is best practice.

Sorry to quote myself, but a lot of us have said the same thing in different ways since then; there are good reasons RB should default to seq format for saves. It is by far the safest.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 03/14/17 04:15 PM
+1 for default to .SEQ
+1

As a workaround, I've been immediately saving newly started projects as SEQ's before I even make the first edit. It helps, but then I have to remember THAT! cry
Posted By: jford Re: RealBand Use SEQ As Default File Type - 08/10/17 11:40 AM
RealBand has a check box in options to set it to save as .SEQ by default, but unfortunately that checked box setting is not the default when you first install RealBand. I believe that's what's being asked for here.
© PG Music Forums