PG Music Home
Posted By: larrymagee Smooth Audio Cuts not working - 07/08/17 01:32 AM
Hi - I can't tell any difference in the audio cut function between having the "smooth audio cuts" on or off. Every time I cut an audio note I have to go back sculpt a quick fade-out or fade-in to remove the harsh scratch sound at the end or beginning of the cut.

I don't know how other DAWs do this but it seems to me that code could be included in the audio cut function to taper the edges of the cut by a couple of milliseconds. It would be a big time saver for those of us that do a lot of audio editing.

Thanks
Posted By: jford Re: Smooth Audio Cuts not working - 07/10/17 04:36 PM
I agree that smooth should be smooth; however, I've also found that if you consolidate regions (you'll notice after cut/paste operations there is always a little line where the paste happens), that will generally smooth things out. It really shouldn't be a two step process, but for the interim, I think you'll find that will work for you.
Posted By: rharv Re: Smooth Audio Cuts not working - 07/10/17 08:38 PM
See John's post above; consolidating occasionally may help, but do understand this limits the Undo option.
Always a trade-off.

Also, some of us, a few years back, found that using the 'smooth' function was actually worse, and leaving it unchecked helped. This may have to do with the Resolution settings (see bottom of post)
Just mentioning as you didn't say what version you have.

Recent versions have not exhibited this behavior here though.

In RB/PT maybe try setting the Resolution to your highest setting (usually 3840).
Click Options-Resolution
This makes edits MUCH more accurate than at the default 120 setting. This is the Parts Per Quarter note setting. (PPQ)
If you divide a quarter note by 3840 divisions it is much more accurate than using 120 PPQ.

Just an idea. This setting affects audio as well as MIDI.
Posted By: larrymagee Re: Smooth Audio Cuts not working - 07/14/17 01:58 AM
thanks guys. I'm on the latest version of RB. I'll try upping the resolution. I've been at 120.
© PG Music Forums