PG Music Home
Posted By: Chris Heinen MIDI Chord Detection - 08/04/17 08:32 PM
In BIAB (not RB) there is menu item for "MIDI Chord Detection" which brings up a window titled "Play Chord on MIDI keyboard". The user can then play a chord on their keyboard, and the window updates 4 edit fields with the most likely spelling of the chord played. The user can then use their computer keyboard and "ctrl-Enter" the top-most field back into the Chords window, or click one of four window buttons to have the corresponding chord entered into the Chords window.

It would be useful if this window were also available in RB.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: MIDI Chord Detection - 08/05/17 12:41 PM
+1 It would be a nice addition but not essential. I do not think it is essential for RealBand to duplicate every feature of Band-in-a-Box because I depend on both programs and realize each program has unique strengths and weaknesses. The strengths seem to complement each other.

I depend on the midi capabilities of Band-in-a-Box much more than than RealBand. That might be because RealBand is derived from PG Music's DAW, PowerTracks Pro, which has strong audio features while Band-in-a-Box has strong midi features.
Posted By: Chris Heinen Re: MIDI Chord Detection - 08/07/17 06:16 PM
Hi Jim,

That's interesting. I never thought of it that way.

I was thinking that since the functionality already existed in BIAB, that it would basically be a menu item in RB plus a reference to that existing function in BIAB (kind of like being able to get to the RealTracks picker, Style picker, etc.).

In any event, I'll keep adding Wishlist items, in case any of it becomes "low hanging fruit" for the developers.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: MIDI Chord Detection - 08/08/17 04:10 PM
Ideas are great! Keep on posting them.

Sometimes users get so comfortable with the particular way something works they forget about the hoops they had to jump through before the action became natural.

The more wishlist requests we see the more new features can be considered or alternative ways to perform specific tasks.

Sometimes real simple ideas can make a B-I-G difference.
© PG Music Forums