PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr JUKEBOX IDEA - 01/16/18 02:04 PM
In a live music situation you have to keep things moving so the dancers don't leave the dance floor. I think Jukebox would benefit from a feature that appears in just about every DJ software.

They all have 2 windows: one of them is the song that's playing and the other one is the next song. Typically the next song is set to fade in while the current song is fading out, so there is never a time when the current song is over and nothing is playing.

They also provide a way to synchronize the tempo so the next song literally "doesn't miss a beat". The two song lists are typically sorted by tempo to make this easier

Obviously there are times when you need the music to stop in order to make announcements, but it would be nice if the option to keep the music playing could be toggled on and off with a USB footswitch.

If you'd rather not mess with Jukebox, an alternative idea might be to make a full-blown DJ program that loads SEQ files in addition to other audio file types. The music market has already transitioned to DJs and such a product would make the rest of your suite more useful to that demographic.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 01/16/18 10:39 PM
+1 Good ideas Pat!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 01/17/18 02:36 PM
Excellent ideas. A very valuable addition.
+1
Posted By: jford Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 01/18/18 04:36 PM
+1

Even just for listening at home (since I don't DJ).
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 01/18/18 06:50 PM
When I want to do what you are describing I just import the second song and then move it to the end of the first song. If song 1 is at 104 and song 2 is at 100 I slow the first one down to 102 and speed the second up to 102. The crowd wouldn't know that one is a bit too fast and the other a bit to slow. When I was still doing the reunion shows I did a lot of that kind of editing for the rehearsal files. I am a big fab of medleys and sometimes just do it to do it. I put Darlin' and Don't Worry Baby together. I had to move the key of one and slow one down, but I made them seamless.

With god (and software) all things are possible. In this context, more with software....
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 01/21/18 07:29 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
With god (and software) all things are possible. In this context, more with software....

And a good serve of human intervention...
Posted By: lambada Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 01/24/18 04:42 AM
+1 for BIAB and Realband.
Also great work around Eddie.
Posted By: silvertones Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 03/17/18 05:33 PM
BUT unlike djs we have a guitar in hand and can't load the next song and cue it up.
I'm finding the Jukebox useless cause it can't analyse the crowd and play what the crowd wants.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 03/29/18 11:03 PM
I still don't get why people load SEQ files in a live room to begin with. You aren't tweaking the mix if you are playing a guitar. I rarely play but the few times I have I played WAV files. The less variables involved, the less that can go wrong. Real Band can't crash during a song if I am not using it. I think of it like Woody Hayes and his "3 yards and a cloud of dust". Run the ball and very little can go wrong. And if you know how to EQ, those WAV files are quite bright and live.

To compare a live player to a DJ is not apples and apples to start with. Live bands play a mono mix through left and right speakers, anymore not always with a sound man to tweak during a song because they don't want to pay one, so the song plays through and they make changes between songs.

I have started to resave my songs without vocals because I may look to do shows in RV Parks when I hit the road. By then I should have 2 CDs and if I sell 5 of each that's $100, plus if anybody tips that's nice too. Since I don't really need to do this for income it doesn't matter if I make money or not. I have a feeling I'd move some CDs though.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 03/30/18 03:15 PM
Eddie,

I think giving a free performance at your RV stops and having CDs to sell is a great idea.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 07/13/18 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261 - gone
I still don't get why people load SEQ files in a live room to begin with.

One reason: all my gear is MIDI controlled, and I need a sequence file to serve MIDI to my rack at the appropriate point in the song. Otherwise, I have to be distracted by pedal stomping. The tracks are already mixed down when I perform, so there isn't a lot that can go wrong.
Posted By: silvertones Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 07/16/18 03:06 PM
I've been playing RV Resorts for 2 years. Full time.. Big $potential.
Rio Grande Valley, Texas.
Full time rver
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 12/24/18 09:48 AM
<<< all my gear is MIDI controlled, and I need a sequence file to serve MIDI to my rack at the appropriate point in the song. Otherwise, I have to be distracted by pedal stomping. The tracks are already mixed down when I perform, so there isn't a lot that can go wrong. >>>

Hi Pat. Have you tried the free lite version Ableton Live?
Posted By: silvertones Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 12/29/18 04:09 PM
Eddie,
I use *seq files cause I do mix live.Wifey mixes FOH on a pad.
That's changing cause I now have a Music Broker booking me as of yesterday and he'll mix FOH on big gigs. My mixer his PA.
BTW Pat the Jukebox sort of does what you're talking about. I don't check the box to stop after each song. I let it roll. If I need to talk I can hit stop before the next song starts.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: JUKEBOX IDEA - 12/31/18 10:43 PM
I now use a ipad app called jamzone it has multitrack mixes with the ability to cut out instruments and then scratch lead vocal. it's still limited but very stable and can Bluetooth to a mixer. so far I have about 120 songs in my setup more are added each week.
© PG Music Forums