PG Music Home
Posted By: stratos About accurate harmonies in jazz style - 08/14/18 05:45 PM
It has become quite a challenge, that especially jazz styles RealTracks/BB do not have ALL conceivable harmonies. Its so very important in that style. That might get some good jazz players to turn away from BB.
Its very important to have eg. A-major7 not playing Am7, or have accurate difference between dominant 7#9 or just plain 9.
I wish that next updates of realtracks will find a way to work that out, instead of coming up with more new jazz styles with the same problem.
Im talking for many around here, that want the best for PG

)) Its very important to have eg. A-major7 not playing Am7,

Agreed. Hopefully you can be more specific, as we fix those whenever they are spotted. Ideally you freeze the song and email it to support@pgmusic.com

Posted By: stratos About accurate harmonies in jazz style - 08/15/18 05:30 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon

Agreed. Hopefully you can be more specific, as we fix those whenever they are spotted. Ideally you freeze the song and email it to support@pgmusic.com

Thanks Peter. I appreciate your fast response

I now have sent : _SKYHIGH Demo - Sky High Medium Jazz w Flute

Its one example, but I think all jazz styles need a check for it.

This frozen realtrack demo choose randomly between 9 or #9 with a weight on 9 when #9 is written.

Im aware of need for regenerating to get things quite right, but I wish especially these chords types could be accurate all the time, if possible.

Also no Ammaj7(and even Am6) possible on my file.

regards

Posted By: stratos Re: About accurate harmonies in jazz style - 08/18/18 06:24 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon

Hi Peter
Problem solved.
Uncheck "NATURAL ARRANGEMENT" in BB and Realband under pref.
This is a very important observation. If you want the upper extension always as you wrote it, Natural Arrangement may be a problem. I think it works by substituting more ‘commonn’ chords that are more likely to produce smoother progressions bar to bar because there are more prerecorded combinations to choose from. If that’s wrong I hope PG Music will tell me.

A corollary of Natural Arrangement is that the visual chords are not changed. I wish there were a way to toggle between what was entered and what it was changed to. I suspect, for example that 9, 7b9 and 7#9 are all changed to 7th chords.
Posted By: WendyM Re: About accurate harmonies in jazz style - 09/12/18 05:21 PM
Mmmh.Not sure of the advantage of natural arrangements. If I WANT Eb7 instead of Eb7#9 thats what I'll input.I spent ages last month transferring a chordy vocal jazz standard off sheet musicto BB with some gorgeous sounding chords and it plays superbly.In fact I have it now as a BT straight off the SGU. BUT I DID try the natrural arrangements thing and I couldnt believe what it did to such a beautiful song.All the charisma and feel had disappeared and half the time the chords played were nothing like.
Wendy
Posted By: Noel96 Re: About accurate harmonies in jazz style - 10/27/18 06:35 PM
Wendy,

Like you, Matt and stratos, and many others I don't know about in the forum, I prefer not to use 'Natural Arrangements'.

My own personal view is that this feature is more for those who don't need and don't fully understand the more sophisticated chord extensions found in jazz music.

There is a lot of freely available sheet music out there on the web and often the chords in this music seem to have been determined electronically by some computer algorithm. This can lead to some unusual chords being placed in equally unusual harmonic environments. I see 'Natural Arrangements' as a very useful feature for these music arrangements if the user does not fully appreciate harmonic complexity. In this regard, 'Natural Arrangements' is a tool to help those who have less grounding in music theory. This, in turn, makes BIAB a much more accessible product to people across the spectrum of musical understanding.

I agree with Matt in that it would be terrific to see the chord changes that Natural Arrangements introduces when it's employed. This would then offer arrangement alternatives that could be useful for the user to consider.

Just my couple of cents worth!

All the best,
Noel

Posted By: waynocook Re: About accurate harmonies in jazz style - 11/08/18 10:07 AM
The more I learned music Theory, the more I agree with you.
© PG Music Forums