PG Music Home
In RealBand 2020, the right-click paste function does not work in the chords window.

To reproduce:
1. In the chords window, click and drag to highlight (black) a bar with a chord symbol.
2. Copy using CTRL-C or right click-copy (both work).
3. In the copy dialog, ensure only "chord symbols" is selected.
4. Select or highlight a target bar.
5. rt-click paste. It does not work.

Workaround: CTRL-V seems to work.

I would love to see an entire year dedicated to bugfixing, code refactoring, reducing technical debt, and stability instead of rolling out 50 new features every year. I would pay for that upgrade. I love RealBand, but my experience with RB2016 was that it was crashy and buggy. RB2020 seems a bit better, but nowhere near as bulletproof as, say, Cockos Reaper.
JohnnyRock,

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for taking time to report the paste chords issue you are experiencing with 2020 RealBand. I hope you will frequent the forum more often. Perhaps you can share some links to your music in the +++ User Showcase +++ forum section.

This post is in the RealBand Wishlist forum section. When asking questions or reporting an issue with RealBand your post will receive more view and thus receive more responses by posting in the +++ RealBand +++ forum section.

I feel RealBand is much more stable now than it was in 2011 when I first used it. Having said that, frequently saving a project under an incremental new name seems to stabilize the program. Consolidating track audio while editing helps as well. Finally, if you use volume automation, the "clean up nodes" command increases stability.
I’m sure you know but it’s hard to compare RB with Reaper. While Reaper is very solid and it has better actual DAW features. However Reaper can’t do any of the BiaB type generation so by far RB does so much more in the track creation arena. This is why in my opinion it tends to be a tad shakey.
I should point out that I was not suggesting that users abandon RB in favor of Reaper. I was trying to encourage the RB developers to aggressively squash bugs like the Reaper developers do.

I fully agree that it is unfair to compare RB to Reaper feature-wise. I haven't found anything else that can do what RB and BIAB do for me. I have used RB for years (Power Tracks before that) and I am a big fan. I will usually migrate a project from RB to Reaper as part of my workflow, so I use them both.

What I admire about Reaper is how stable it is, and it seems like the developers aggressively address all bug reports. I was hoping to get the attention of the RB developers with my post.
Thanks Jim. I was hoping to get the attention of the developers since I already have a workaround - any advice about how to do that?

I suppose I could have left out the "rant". I work with testing of safety-critical software so I can be a little nitpicky. Of course, no self-respecting engineer or developer wants to make something that doesn't work, so I guess I was trying to appeal to that instinct.
JohnnyRock,

There are three routes to announcing an issue.

One route is to create a forum thread. Other forum members using the same software can duplicate your steps and determine if they receive comparable results. Typically, they will announce their results in a reply to the original post. Despite the many posts by various PG Music employees in the forum I do not believe PG Music employees reads each post. Therefore it is likely a thread announcing an issue may get lost in the crowd of new threads posted each day. Several beta testers frequent the forum so the best possibility is a beta tester will see a post and alert PG Music of the post.

Another route is to email PG Music at support@pgmusic.com. You know PG Music received the report because of the auto response reply. However you normally don't receive any update unless the issue is addressed in an update.

Another route is to email a PG Music employee direct. You won't receive an auto response and likely won't receive an update unless the issue is addressed.

Some folks do all three!
Very informative - thanks Jim
© PG Music Forums