PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Real Track artists - 07/22/20 05:10 PM
This HAS to be a repeat but I haven't been around as long as a lot of your regulars.

Is it even worth the time to suggest artists to be sampled into real tracks? I mean are they going to listen or go all WC Fields and tell "Go away son. You're bothering me." There is another wave of studio dudes coming up. I love Brent Mason but he is kind of played out now. As well as he plays those little chunks just don't always seam together well.

I emailed (I think it was) Sales suggesting Tom Bukovac. He is the most recorded guitar player in Nashville over the last 25 years and has been guitar player of the year for a lot of years. AND, thanks to Covid, he could probably use some cash flow right now (so he doesn't have to go into his vault.... He is hardly hurting.) Had had no social media presence until recently so only the people who read liner notes know his name.

AND... he grew up not far from me in my little suburb of Cleveland, though I am WAY older than him and we didn't know each other when he was here.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Real Track artists - 07/23/20 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
This HAS to be a repeat but I haven't been around as long as a lot of your regulars.

Is it even worth the time to suggest artists to be sampled into real tracks? I mean are they going to listen or go all WC Fields and tell "Go away son. You're bothering me." There is another wave of studio dudes coming up. I love Brent Mason but he is kind of played out now. As well as he plays those little chunks just don't always seam together well.

I emailed (I think it was) Sales suggesting Tom Bukovac. He is the most recorded guitar player in Nashville over the last 25 years and has been guitar player of the year for a lot of years. AND, thanks to Covid, he could probably use some cash flow right now (so he doesn't have to go into his vault.... He is hardly hurting.) Had had no social media presence until recently so only the people who read liner notes know his name.

AND... he grew up not far from me in my little suburb of Cleveland, though I am WAY older than him and we didn't know each other when he was here.

I think this is quite a good idea. There are a lot of older players that set the standards for a lot of genres. I'd like to add Craig Fuller to a list of hopefuls that can add a of different popular styles that people still like to replicate today. Craig was the lead guitarist and also played rhythm parts as well as the main songwriter for the original lineup of Pure Prairie League and from 1987-1993 with Little Feat.
Posted By: Roger Brown Re: Real Track artists - 08/29/20 02:20 PM
I cannot speak for PG Music, but I suspect that part of the issue (pre-COVID) has been that there a quite a few session musicians who aren't keen on the idea of work-for-hire projects. By way of example, in the past, I would routinely try to hire certain session musicians in Nashville for demo sessions - certain guys (Brent Mason as an example) simply wouldn't play on demo sessions, they would only take master session bookings, and often demanded double or triple scale. That of course was when session work was plentiful and we were printing money in the country market.
I would think with the current COVID anchor around the industry's neck, that more players would be willing to take the work-for-hire sessions than in the past.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Track artists - 08/30/20 11:18 AM
Roger, we all know what talks and what walks, right? Guys at that level require a good amount of what talks to do this, but apparently when you see John Jarvis, Brent Mason, Paul Franklin and such, apparently at some point PG was willing to part with what talks. I would kill and step over the body if Tom Bukovac would do samples for PG. As much as I love Brent Mason, most of what is available here from him is an exercise in "How many notes can I fit into these 8 bars" more than "How tasteful can I play this". I have used his snippets and made some GREAT solos, but it's quite an exercise in cutting and pasting to cobble something together to create a solo that flows well and sounds natural enough to actually be played by normal humans who fall far short of his skill level.

Bukovac, from the same small burb in northeast Ohio where I lived for many years, after years of no social media presence turned to a youtube channel and t-shirt sales to offset the work he lost due to quarantine. I have a hard time imagining that between him and Sarah they are hurting for money, but he probably did it partially out of boredom. The first call session guitar guy and most recorded guitar player in Nashville over the last 20 years can't be hurting for money. If he IS, what an opportunity here to pick up some fast cash for a day of recording samples.
I mean one Buckeye to another, right? LOL!! Granted he was born just 12 miles inside the Ohio line, but it counts!!
Posted By: rharv Re: Real Track artists - 09/04/20 08:37 PM
Jeff Berlin bass
Steve Gadd drums (pipe dream I know)
Alan Zavod or Biff Hannon (or as was mentioned recently, Dave Stewart) on keys
hmm, I wonder what Andrian Belew is doing right now ..

There are so many great players probably looking for a safe way to make money.
For once I won't pick on eddie1261; great idea/opportunity these days smile
Everybody wins
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Real Track artists - 09/27/20 07:44 PM
I just realized what horrible structure that paragraph had. Brent Mason was born just 12 miles inside the Ohio line near Indiana, not Bukovac, who was born in Cleveland.
© PG Music Forums