PG Music Home
Posted By: Truth42 BIAB crashing constantly - 10/07/23 12:18 PM
BIAB crashes every time I click on a menu.

Anyone have this problem.

Running BIAB on Sonoma. It was working last week.

Thanks
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: BIAB crashing constantly - 10/10/23 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by Truth42

Thanks

There are issues over Sonoma. PGMusic has recommended that we don't update yet. I am sticking with that advice till we get the "all clear". Finale, Digital Performer and a few other apps along with many of my plug-ins are likewise, incompatible.
Posted By: Ched Re: BIAB crashing constantly - 10/13/23 10:07 AM
I updated to Sonoma. BIAB very glitchy and crashing. Cannot get the DAW plug-in working. Will not drop tracks from BIAB to Logic.
Posted By: TRYUK Re: BIAB crashing constantly - 10/13/23 04:52 PM
I have an iMac M1 and updated to Sonoma. I cant replicate it crashing when selecting any of the menus.
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: BIAB crashing constantly - 10/13/23 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
Originally Posted by Truth42

Thanks

There are issues over Sonoma. PGMusic has recommended that we don't update yet. I am sticking with that advice till we get the "all clear". Finale, Digital Performer and a few other apps along with many of my plug-ins are likewidse, incompatible.

It seems there are a lot of different programs that aren't quite ready for Sonoma yet.
Sweetwater has put together a nice resource that some users may find helpful: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-sonoma-compatibility-guide/
Posted By: Warren P Re: BIAB crashing constantly - 10/14/23 03:40 PM
BIAB 2023 is very stable here on VENTURA. I’m an audio guy and a software developer who writes code for macs and windows, but not a PG staff person. Just a normal user. But I’ve been coding on macs and windows for decades. Apple loves to make breaking changes every year to their OS. They expect everyone to visit every line of their 10 million or 20 million lines of code and find where apple broke things and change it. It’s really remarkable that anyone writes code for Mac OS, given the burden Apple imposes.

I would really not suggest anyone go on SONOMA who wants to get work done on their macs, especially not for audio production until sonoma is (a) blessed by PG MUSIC, (b) blessed by a good percentage of the plugin makers.

I would expect BIAB, CUBASE, NI Komplete, and all the other audio app people to take six months to a year to update and find all the things apple did.

Every time this happens can we all remind ourselves; It’s apple who breaks stuff and leaves everyone at all these software companies scrambling to find what thing Apple did this time to break all the millions of applications out there that exist and worked fine with last year’s OS. PG Music will like everyone else need time to find what changed, and make fixes. And the nature of modular music apps is that you could have crashes from VST and AU plugins also. BIAB can be 100% ready for sonoma, and yet you still can’t move because a plugin you need isn’t ready. And Sonoma probably has lots and lots of new kernel level bugs. Who really wants to live with that while Apple finds those.

I have code I wrote in 1995 that still runs on Windows 11. I can’t run apps I wrote on XCode in 2020, in 2023, without changes. This is 100% an apple issue.
Posted By: GitarGuy Re: BIAB crashing constantly - 10/14/23 08:32 PM
I recently updated form BIAB 2020 Pro to BIAB 2023 Pro. Crashes when I try to open the Notation or Lead Sheet windows. I only purchased the new version to fix the crashes (so I thought). I am running MacOS Sonoma. I understand that the company needs time to update their products due to Apple's updated OS. I didn't like that on their website it didn't state these two windows are not compatible yet with MacOS 14. That should be clearly stated when purchasing the product. The other issue is when I emailed support to explain my issue it was worded, and I quote the response "At this time, Band-in-a-Box is not yet considered compatible with Mac's newest OS. We are currently in the process of testing our newest version of Band-in-a-Box on the latest OS, but until our testing is concluded we will be unable to give a definitive answer as to if or when compatibility will be available for our latest program. Once compatibility is confirmed, our Requirements page for Mac will be updated to reflect this so you can keep an eye out there. Please keep in mind this is only for the latest version of Band-in-a-Box as legacy versions of Band-in-a-Box no longer receive patch updates." The issue I have is the "IF" part. So there may never be an update to fix the notation and lead sheet windows crashing. Again, that should have been clearly stated. I would have never purchased this update had I known that. They also start by saying it's not compatible with the new Mac OS. Again, why doesn't it say that on their web site when you go to purchase it? Very deceptive on their part. The fact that there may never be a fix is also aggravating. I use both those features all the time. I don't care about the other updated features in the new program. How do you advertise a program and never state that some of the features may never work after you purchase it?
Posted By: Warren P Re: BIAB crashing constantly - 10/15/23 09:31 PM
I think the installer should at least warn you. Maybe request that in the wishlist forum.

Warning: This Mac OS version is not officially supported for this version.

If you’re not brand new to computers and to macs, though, and not brand new to audio software, surely you’ve seen this happen.

I’ve been watching this happen since 1999, like clockwork.
© PG Music Forums