PG Music Home
I just cross-graded to BIAB on Mac. I am also using a Roland SD20 sound module. I use BIAB and Roland to practice guitar. Which midi driver should I use? Or, perhaps, said differently, what would the Mac OS X Core midi get me?

thx
Hello,

The Apple DLS synth refers to the built-in MIDI sounds on your computer. If you do not have any external MIDI equipment (keyboards, sound modules...) then you can just select Apple DLS synth and Band-in-a-Box will use that to play the MIDI tracks. If you do have some external equipment, then you need to select CoreMIDI to be able to use it with Band-in-a-Box.

Your Roland sound module most likely has better MIDI sounds than the built-in Apple synth. If you choose CoreMIDI, you can have Band-in-a-Box play through your Roland module. The setup is fairly straight forward. There are detailed instructions in the CoreMIDI manual, which you should find in the /Band-in-a-Box/Manuals folder.
Though, Andrew forgot to mention that if you have BinaB with all the realtracks, you probably won't ever want to use your Roland SD20 (I have one.....which has dust on it) and Apple's built-in midi sounds will suffice for those one or two instruments that you don't have a RealTrack for.....
It has always been my understanding that the built in apple DLS Synth are Roland sound samples.

On one of my computer midi/audio set ups i use the built in apple DLS Synth and a virtual qwerty keyboard for notation input or play along.
© PG Music Forums