PG Music Home
Not important, just curious as I become more accustomed to Macs:

As a PC expert, I'm accustomed to finding out which version and build of BIAB I have by going to the Help menu, About. This is pretty normal for Windows software.

On the iMac I just bought, onto which I installed BIAB 2017, I see that this info isn't where I thought it would be; it's in Band in a Box, About (where Band in a Box is highlighted next to the Apple logo in the top left corner). Not the Help menu.

That's fine, but my question is, is this location normal for Mac software? The reason I ask is that I would like to hope the Windows and Mac versions function identically. Also, many times in answering a question in the forum, I have said, Go to Help, About to see your build number, and for Macs, that's wrong.

Thanks.
Hi Matt,
Yes, standard is under the program name (right of Apple) sometimes the check for updates can be there as well. As someone who made the switch I have found the Mac version quite inferior to the Windows version.
Not much happens to improve the fault ridden MAC version (No updates since last December) while the functioning WIN version even gets the minor issues attended to at a reasonable rate. Not really convinced that there is genuine interest in the MAC version (of course they'll say otherwise) as nothing seems to get fixed let alone improved.
I use Parallels to access my WIN version, you'll want to hang yourself from a tree if your try do anything beyond basic in the MAC version. smile
Col
Thank you for the info.
Yes, that’s how Mac programs work.

I agree and disagree with Beachboy on the Mac vs Win versions. The 2018 for Mac hasn’t been released yet. PG normally releases sometime in Spring.

The Win version constantly gets tweaks because it needs them.

Yes, PG Music claims the differences are minor. That’s not really true. 2017 Audiophile does what I want and that’s the important thing for me. I have no interest in Windows 10 or Parallels. I did Win tech support for years so I’m not unfamiliar. Windows does nothing I need.

If the Mac version for 2018 is not 64 bit, I’m not buying even if it closes the gap between the two versions. The next Mac OS plans to drop all 32 bit support. I have a 2T SSD running El Cap that I can boot from and run 2017 if I need to if that happens. PG Music needs to earn my upgrade money.
Mike Halloran,

Well said.
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

...The Win version constantly gets tweaks because it needs them...

Ain't that the truth.
Yes, that’s how Mac programs work.

I agree and disagree with Beachboy on the Mac vs Win versions. The 2018 for Mac hasn’t been released yet. PG normally releases sometime in Spring.

The Win version constantly gets tweaks because it needs them.

Yes, PG Music claims the differences are minor. That’s not really true. 2017 Audiophile does what I want and that’s the important thing for me. I have no interest in Windows 10 or Parallels. I did Win tech support for years so I’m not unfamiliar. Windows does nothing I need.

If the Mac version for 2018 is not 64 bit, I’m not buying even if it closes the gap between the two versions. The next Mac OS plans to drop all 32 bit support. I have a 2T SSD running El Cap that I can boot from and run 2017 if I need to if that happens. PG Music needs to earn my upgrade money.

Well, I wouldn't be holding my breathe for 64 bit but let's wait and see.
Regarding 2018 version, how on earth would you know what you'd get anyway, even if it it had a piano roll whether it worked or not would be another question. 2017 has a lyric editor which has never worked at all, zip, bupkis, useless beyond words. PG Music know, and either don't care or don't have the ability to fix it. Notation doesn't scroll ahead correctly beyond a set number of bars so will that work in 2018? How would you know? they put out fixes for the MAC version like they do for Windows, just go an check the updates on the support page.
I was a Systems Network Manger (Windows Based) for many years but I'm not spruiking Windows, I switched to MAC for my music production which I'm happy about except for BIAB. It is simply a disaster compared to the Windows version. I don't want to have to use Parallels, why would I want to unless I had to, I have to if I want to work with Melody, Lyrics & Midi.
The WIN BIAB users must be shaking their heads at the thoughts of no Piano roll, no Lyric editor, No scrolling Notation, No copying Lyrics.
Hey, but it generates real tracks just fine. Well, some people might need it to do a bit more than that, particularly if you want a Melody & Lyrics.
So, in the area of Melody & Lyrics the MAC version doesn't just "lag behind", it's just useless compared to the WIN version (forget about 2017 just insert any year).
Unfortunately, I didn't realise how bad the situation was until more than 30 days after purchase, partly due to the fact that I contacted support regarding the issues, naively thinking they would fix the problems. they didn't. So , knowing what I know now about the MAC version if I had just purchased I'd be requesting a refund.
Enough grizzle for the morning smile
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't be holding my breathe for 64 bit but let's wait and see.
It doesn’t matter. Not spending another dime unless it is.

As to the rest, I agree.

I us BIAB to knock out quick accompaniments fo vocals for vanity tracks that I produce. Infinitely better quality than buying prepared karaoke tracks and saves me many hours over doing them from scratch. I then export these to a DAW for sweetening and polishing. So, I look at Real Band but that would involve Windows—I’m just not going there again.

I came to BIAB through the Finale plugin where it saved me time when composing infomercials. Finale 25 no longer has the plugin as it’s 64 bit only. I lost the use of my dominant arm and cannot work fast enough for those deadlines and BIAB is inadequate on its own. If Real Band could fill the gap and make me as productive as before, then, yes, I’d go back to the Windows platform. It can’t and that’s life.

I am a presence on the Final boards where we get, “I can’t install (my old version) on my new Mac.” Nope, you can’t. You must upgrade to 25...

Without a 64 bit version of BIAB, Mac users buying new machines at the end of the year will be in the same boat. Heck, I may be one of them although, at the moment, I’m planning that purchase for this year and 2017 runs over High Sierra. I can boot from my external drive and run 2017.

There are certainly reasons for the Win products to go 64 bit, also but it is the Mac version that needs to do so first.

Whatever PG Music decides, I get to vote with my pocketbook and plan to do so.
[quote]

Without a 64 bit version of BIAB, Mac users buying new machines at the end of the year will be in the same boat. Heck, I may be one of them although, at the moment, I’m planning that purchase for this year and 2017 runs over High Sierra. I can boot from my external drive and run 2017.

There are certainly reasons for the Win products to go 64 bit, also but it is the Mac version that needs to do so first.

Yes, I agree. I posted a link on this forum sometime back about the discontinuation of Apple support for 32 bit in the near future.
I certainly wouldn't use Windows just for Realband I'd prefer Logic, Cubase, Studio One etc any day.
Also, I can do my lyrics to my liking in Logic or Notion it just irks me that BIAB MAC has supposed features that plainly don't work.
I will be limiting my participation in the BIAB for Mac forum if threads regularly become hijacked with angst like this. But thank you for answering my simple question.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I will be limiting my participation in the BIAB for Mac forum if threads regularly become hijacked with angst like this. But thank you for answering my simple question.

I wonder who opened the door?

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
The reason I ask is that I would like to hope the Windows and Mac versions function identically.

I do agree the detour into DAWs and the like is a bit too wide. This is about BIAB after all.
Well, not as much traffic over here, so sometimes us Mac guys just get lonely and want someone to talk to.
smile smile eek

... kidding blush

- Jay
© PG Music Forums