PG Music Home
Posted By: Tommyc Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 08/16/18 01:18 PM
Have a Mac that is using the Digi Core Audio Manager instead of Apples. It crashes on a regular basis, and was wondering if anyone knows how to remove it all. Digi 002 rack Mac 10.7.5 Please explain for dummies if possible!
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 08/19/18 03:46 PM
Basically, you should stop Digi CAM from running using Activity Monitor and then delete it along with its support files. Here is a good step-by-step:

https://uninstallmacapp.com/digidesign-coreaudio-driver-removal.html

However, as pointed out in step #3, there will be other files to delete in addition to the driver itself. I use and recommend AppCleaner. It's free. You just drag the DCAM onto the AppCleaner window and it instantly finds all those other files that you would otherwise have to search for manually if you just dragged the DCAM to the trash. Note: it does NOT automatically delete anything. It shows you all the files and you then tell it which ones you would like to delete.

http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

If you have any more specific questions after reading the article, please let me know. I used to have a Digi002R and loved it but I had to finally get rid of it due to instability with recent OS's. It was several years ago, but I believe there was an uninstaller in the Digi app folder...or an installer that will give you the option to uninstall when you launch it.

BTW, have you had any luck going into System Preferences > Sound and selecting internal (or another interface) for both input and output?
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 08/20/18 10:32 PM
Ran the appcleaner and I set the sound to internal speakers and restarted, I but now my Logic Pro 9 won't load, gonna use recovery to try again. It hangs when loading when it comes to MIDI (drivers I Guess) Not very tech savvy.
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 08/22/18 07:18 PM
So you completely uninstalled Digi Core Audio Manager then?

Have you tried launching Audio MIDI Setup from your Applications > Utilities folder to see what your MIDI setup is?
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 08/25/18 12:50 PM
Checking the midi setup was the key, it still showed digi in the list but not being used. Found and deleted them and did a hard reset bash on Digimididriver in terminal. Yay! It's been about a year of putting up with the crashes and restoring from time machine. Thanks Guitarist!
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 08/25/18 04:06 PM
You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that the issue is resolved.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 08/29/18 10:59 AM
These did work very well for me, almost makes me want to load Snow Leopard. Is there a dual boot option for MAC? I have so much loved software, but it's on 10.7.5 Lion and DIGI doesn't like it!
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 08/30/18 10:05 AM
Yes, you can install another OS on a bootable external drive and use it just for music if you'd like.

You want to go backwards to OSX 10.6? I know you cannot install an OS internally that is earlier than what came preinstalled on your computer, though it might work booting from an external drive. Probably not. You should consider moving up instead to OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion. I just checked Avid's drivers for digi002r and the last one that they tested was for 10.8 or earlier. I'm pretty sure mine was still working okay on 10.8 but I'm on 10.12 now.

Check your favorite applications to make sure they are compatible with Mountain Lion, especially LP which should be version 9.1.8. If so, you'll need to get an external USB drive and install your new OSX onto it. Then install LP9, BIAB, etc., along with the digi002r driver. After you're finished installing everything, open System Preferences in your internal OS and click on Startup Disk. You should now see your new, bootable external drive available to start up from.
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 08/30/18 04:27 PM
Thanks!
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Digi Core Audio Manager Removal? - 09/04/18 12:13 PM
OS 10.6 will not run on any Mac that shipped after 2011.

With the problems you've been having, it's possible that updating to OS 10.8 will cause more. Best to install it on a separate drive first and do a Clean Install to bring your files and apps over. Do not clone your system drive. Do not copy over any freeware or shareware no matter how much you like it unless you've vetted the app first. Even a few commercial apps like CD Spin Doctor and Spin Dr X, bundled with Toast will give you major kernel panics (doesn't work past 10.6 anyway). The Bresink Temperature Monitor is another utility to avoid.

You don't say what Mac you have but any Intel Mac will boot and run from a USB drive.
© PG Music Forums