PG Music Home
Posted By: jazzsax Midi controller recording to melody track - 10/02/18 07:12 PM
Can anyone direct me to BIAB articles or videos explaining how to connect an Oxygen midi controller to record on the melody track. I did two searches on the forum with no results and a video that was for ver.9 and for windows.
I have done this dozens of times in the past with a previous Macbook and BIAB 2014.
At present the keyboard is powered up, BIAB 2016 was opened after the keyboard was connected but in the Mac preferences it is not listed.
I think one possibility is that on this computer I have Boom2 installed and it appears as the only option For input than the internal microphone.
Macbook, high Sierra 10.13.4
BIAB ver 2016
Hi Jazzsax,

You won't see your keyboard in your Mac's Preferences under Sound because it's a MIDI device, not audio.

To use the keyboard in Band-in-a-Box, click on Options, then Select MIDI Driver or Apple DLS Synth. In the window that appears, choose MacOS X CoreMIDI, and click OK.

Next, hit Options again, then CoreMIDI (Choose Ports). Select your keyboard in the MIDI In box, and Apple DLS Synth in the other boxes, then click OK.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Kent,
To repeat my goal is to record on the melody or soloist track.
Here is my procedure in BB 2016 (as noted earlier 2018 won’t work for me).
Prior to opening BB I plug in Oxygen 8 via usb and it powers up.
Following your instructions, when I get to “select Ports/Instruments”,
The top box MIDI in is blank and the pull down arrow also shows blank.
Ernie
Hi Ernie,

When you click on the MIDI In box, does nothing happen at all, or does a blank rectangle drop down? If a blank rectangle drops down, there's a chance that selecting it will work. Some devices will be listed but with no name sometimes.

That being said, according to M-Audio, the Oxygen 8's latest driver only official supports Snow Leopard or earlier:

http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/topics/oxygen-8-driver-for-osx-sierra

Some people in that thread did report using the driver in newer operating systems, so you could try installing it anyway, shouldn't hurt anything.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
© PG Music Forums