PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle Mac Question By Windows User - 12/05/18 02:19 PM
There seems to be a lot of excitement and enthusiasm grin for the 2019 Band-in-a-Box VST. It also seems that some Mac users have interest in having a Band-in-a-Box app for Mac. shocked

So, I'm wondering, can the Mac only programs GarageBand and Logic use VSTs or AAX? confused
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Mac Question By Windows User - 12/05/18 04:29 PM
Hi Jim,

They use AU plugins, which Band-in-a-Box for Mac also supports.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Mac Question By Windows User - 12/05/18 05:24 PM
Kent,

I'm aware the programs can use AU (Audio Units) as that is an Apple operating system type of file. However, some Mac daws can import audio files like WAV or WMA originally developed for use in Windows.

I'm wondering if Apple also built in VST compatibility.
Posted By: JayO Re: Mac Question By Windows User - 12/05/18 06:37 PM
Hey Jim,
Yeah, of course all the Apple made applications like Logic and Garageband use Apple's own AU format exclusively.
But there are still loads of apps Like Cubase for Mac that don't use AU and are VST only.

So although a lot people do think that Macs use AU only, the fact is that there are still a lot of Mac programs that do host VST's.
BIAB 2018 for Mac being one of them. smile

Hopefully I understood what you were asking. blush

- Jay
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Mac Question By Windows User - 12/05/18 11:17 PM
Jay,

Thanks for the response. Since most of my computers have used either DOS or Windows I know very little about Mac. What little I have learned has been through forum posts.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Mac Question By Windows User - 12/06/18 02:21 AM
If you want to try Mac out and get accustomed to it before buying one, you can use VirtualBox and https://www.tonymacx86.com on your PC.
© PG Music Forums