PG Music Home
Posted By: Joe Muscara Poor performance on macOS Mojave - 02/12/19 09:09 AM
I have two Macs running Mojave. At first, I thought BIAB 2015 was running fine on them, but as I've used it, I've come to realize it's really slow. Some examples are

1. Entering chords on the chord sheet. It can take several seconds for chords I enter to appear. What seems to happen is that I can type chord - tab - tab, Chord - tab - tab, etc., and after doing a few of these, what I typed will appear and the highlight will catch up to me if I've stopped.

2. Adding notes in the Notation view don't appear for several seconds. Since I'm still poor at targeting notes in this way, I have to sit for several seconds at least to see if I clicked on the correct spot.

3. Position indicator on song playback. Press play, the song generates if it has to, I hear the count off, the tune begins, the position indicator doesn't move, then jumps to the third measure and is caught up for the rest of playback.

There may be others but these are the ones I see most often as I use the program.

This is happening on both Macs. Please don't suggest that I "downgrade" to a previous version of macOS on these machines (iMac 2017, MacBook Pro 2018). It's too late for that and one of them shipped with Mojave anyway. I am running BIAB from the external BIAB USB drive, but copying it to the internal drive didn't seem to help. I also have an older Mac that is running Sierra and it seems to be fine on that one, but that computer has its own problems so I didn't test it extensively. I would prefer to use BIAB on one or both of the newer Macs as they are my primary computers now anyway.

Ideally, it's because I'm using BIAB 2015 and later versions are fine. I have no way to know, though. If someone else has tried multiple versions of BIAB on Mojave and can confirm that the older version I have is the problem, that would be great. I was going to get 2019 when it ships later this year anyway. However, if that version also performs like this for me & Mojave, then I might have wasted my money but I don't know how to find out first (would PG Music be willing to send me a copy that expires so I could test it? I've never dealt with them on that level so I don't know). Or, if there's some setting I have that could be causing this, I'd love to hear it.

I'm more than willing to contact PG Music support and see if they have anything, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas or experiences.

Thanks!
Posted By: Joe Muscara Re: Poor performance on macOS Mojave - 02/12/19 04:40 PM
I just finished a chat with PGMusic. BIAB 2016 and earlier have an issue with lag under Mojave. BIAB 2017 and later don't have the issue. So, I'm now anxiously awaiting BIAB 2019 for Mac (also hoping it will be 64-bit) so I can upgrade and no longer have the issue.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Poor performance on macOS Mojave - 02/13/19 12:40 AM
Good to know. Thanks for posting this answer for future reference.
Posted By: DFCONN Re: Poor performance on macOS Mojave - 02/25/19 10:11 AM
I've had lag issues with Mojave 10.14.3 and BIAB 2018... now, it will not even load, and I'm running it from the external disk from PGM...!
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow Re: Poor performance on macOS Mojave - 02/25/19 10:53 AM
I run BB 2018 on Mojave 10.14.3. No problems what so ever. I only use it for playback, though (no recording).

/Björn
© PG Music Forums