PG Music Home
I spent nearly 30 years in the Dos/Win environment. Mainly due to software availability and business requirements. I bought my first Mac in 2013, a Mac Air, great web device. Started running more and more on the Mac Air and bought a Macbook Pro in 2018. Now I find the same old problem. One of my go-to software programs will no longer be supported in Mac OS. And now we hear that Apple will be moving to their own processor. You think it's bad now. Wait until this rolls out. I'm very sorry I bought the Macbook Pro. I'm sorry I left the Windzoze ecosystem. Apple is a phone company. I suspect they will completely implode when they make the move away from Intel. I'm sure you will be able to run lots of IOS applets on your Mac but I suspect most companies are going to just say fugit. Too small of a market. Also, Bootcamp and Parallels will be noticeably slower. Oh well. My Mac Air is still a great net viewer. I would not expect much more out of Apple in the future. Now PG music is going to rewrite the software to run on 64 bit Mac OS. Do you think they are going to rewrite the code to run on Apple's new processor? Of course, you will hear, there will be no problems, it will all run smoothly. LMAO...sure...bought that one before. Fool me once fug you...fool me twice...ain't going to happen. RIP Mac BIAB.
Mild compared to what most of my colleagues have said about Win10.

Oh well. I make my living on a Mac. Rode the Windows clown car for many years including a tech support desk and am never going back unless paid to — again.

Nice that we have the freedom to chose.
Well, hopefully, I'm wrong. I spent a lot of money on my Macbook Pro. Apple is a much, much larger more diverse company now than when they first switched to Intel. Maybe they can make it all work, maybe they can get the software vendors to rewrite all their code. Maybe......I hope you are right and I'm wrong.
I understand your frustrations however the wonderful software world of Microsoft Windows isn't any better, if anything it has more frustration potential because Microsoft has no direct control over the hardware platform. So far Google's Chrome is not the gateway to a frustration free zone and neither is the open source world of Linux. Each operating system comes with it's own baggage.

Windows users experienced orphaned software and hardware drivers when XP went end-of-life and will experience it again when Windows 7 support ends January, 2020.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
...Windows users experienced orphaned software and hardware drivers when XP went end-of-life and will experience it again when Windows 7 support ends January, 2020.

I was doing tech support for a Silicon Valley software company the day XP was launched aka "The day all hell broke loose".

It wasn't our products, BTW. It was the products that had embedded our libraries. Microsoft had changed the functionality of a certain .dll without changing its name — again. They had done it before with the release of NT. Many products depended on the Win95 version functionality and this still hadn't been fixed 8 years later in 2003.

Oh yea... tell me all about how Windows always works. I can always use a good laugh.

laugh

All of my Apps have made it to 64 bit except one and that's BIAB. The only drivers I'm waiting on are from Apple and MOTU. Motu will release their 64 bit drivers within a week of the official Catalina release. The Apple drivers, of course, will be released with OS 10.15.

My only remaining concern is FileMaker Pro—been 64 bit for years but 2011 still works great. That's going to be an expensive upgrade for the 2 seats I need. I'm deciding whether to port everything to a less expensive database or bite the bullet. I don't use it that much but both my wife and I do our invoicing in it (as I have since 1986 on my Mac Plus). I'll probably pay Apple for the upgrade. Ouch!
© PG Music Forums