PG Music Home
Posted By: camog BB 2019 Mac - 08/24/19 05:31 AM
Hi all on the forum, BB 2019 Win has now been out for months - the new Xtra Styles PAK 7 is out, but only useable with the BB 2019 Win version!! BB 2019 Mac is now more than overdue - for those of us very frustrated by the long wait and no info as to why, would it be appropriate for PGMusic to at least issue a clear statement as to the reasons for the wait?? I do understand and appreciate the policy of not issuing release dates in advance, but for those Mac users who have been loyal for years a bit of a 'comfort' statement would be nice!!! Come on PG - keep us in the loop!! Best wishes to all, Carl
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: BB 2019 Mac - 08/24/19 09:47 PM
I guess you missed this thread right below yours on the list:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=538589&gonew=1#UNREAD

It doesn't appear to be a PGM problem, it's Apple making their new OS 64 bit only.
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 08/25/19 04:00 AM
Thanks for that jazzmammal - no I din't miss the thread on this subject, but that seems to be all speculation and guessing (which is fine)! I was hoping for something a bit more concrete from PGM!! Cheers, Carl
Posted By: StephenTHNZ Re: BB 2019 Mac - 08/26/19 07:58 PM
Me too! I don’t want to update from Mojave. It works just fine. I have more than enough software than I will ever use in my life. I would just like to use the DAW plugin, and some new real tracks would be handy. Can PG not have a .version for those that are not going to update to Catalina? E.g. Some may have older computers etc. I’m sure I’m not the only one that thinks they do not need any new Catalina bells & whistles. I’ve updated BIAB every year since day dot, but for the first time I’m getting to the point where I may not. Starting to regret changing over to a Mac (years ago now). This is not all PG music’s fault. If it ai’nt broke.......
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: BB 2019 Mac - 08/26/19 11:26 PM
Quote:
it's Apple making their new OS 64 bit only.
This was promised in 2011 and was supposed to have happened with Yosemite but Apple kicked the can another 5 years.

It's now really real with the release scheduled for Sept. 10.
Quote:
Me too! I don’t want to update from Mojave. It works just fine.

Then don't.
Quote:
I would just like to use the DAW plugin, and some new real tracks would be handy. Can PG not have a .version for those that are not going to update to Catalina?

Why do you think that a 64 bit only version will not run in Mojave?

64 bit only apps have been real for many years. Some run in Snow Leopard.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/01/19 10:13 AM
I am starting to have concerns that the 2019 Mac version has problems that will further delay the release.
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/01/19 11:50 AM
Yes that's possible Bob - intensely frustrating for loyal BB Mac customers to be kept in the dark like this!! Whenever the bubble does burst, it will be interesting to learn what the wait was all about - I'm considering pulling out of BB altogether and recording all my various instruments and tracks myself, nobody is asking for release date promises and sensible communication doesn't hurt anyone a bit!! Carl
Posted By: Matt N Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/03/19 03:16 PM
FWIW, PG support told me last week "We anticipate the release by mid September"
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/03/19 11:17 PM
I have several folks waiting for it's release. Great news, PG!
Posted By: Edel Maex Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/04/19 03:39 AM
They told me last month it was due mid August
Posted By: steelrain Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/06/19 04:19 AM
The can must be almost crushed, from being kicked so many times
Posted By: Jim Sugg Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/07/19 01:42 PM
I can only imagine what it’s like to be on the BIAB Mac dev team right now. My hat’s off to them.
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/10/19 02:22 AM
If BB 2019 Mac is released later this month, presumably at roughly the normal £150 + $25 for XtraStyles 7 - are we supposed to pay out the same amount in 7 months time for BB 2020 Mac and XtraStyles 8 when they're released?? That's around £330 in 7 months for updates alone - maybe PGM could/should discount the BB 2019 Mac price due to the excessive delay, and throw in XtraStyles 7 for free in the deal??? C
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/10/19 02:28 AM
Actually $49 for XtraStyles 7 after Sept 15th, will BB 2019 Mac be released before that - or is that still more money to stay up-to-date?? C
Posted By: TRYUK Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/10/19 05:41 AM
I bought 2018 UltraPAK 2 months ago, I hope that the upgrade price is not going to be extortionate or I might just stay with what I have.

Does PGM offer reductions for recent purchases?

Its the Apple special event tonight so OS Catalina will probably have a release date, for me there is nothing in it I want so am happy to stay on 10.14.6.
Posted By: steelrain Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/10/19 01:16 PM
I am most excited at the prospect of an updated iOS app.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/10/19 03:41 PM
I noticed both Mike Head and TRYUK have created message posts concerning the functionality of Native Instrument products with the upcoming release of the Mac operating system, 10.15. +++ HERE +++ is a compatability statement released today (September 10, 2019). The statement is copied below:
Quote:

Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15. Please do not install macOS 10.15 if you are using Native Instruments products.

We are currently conducting systematic tests to offer full compatibility as soon as possible after the official release. Please check this page or your Native Instruments product's specifications page regularly to obtain information on the current operating system requirements.

This article has been last updated on September 10th, 2019

Cakewalk by Bandlab users are listing software that will be obsolete and no longer function with the operating system. It is an interesting discussion, you can read it +++ HERE +++

I think I'm starting to understand why PG Music might be waiting to release 2019 Band-in-a-Box for Mac until after MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) is released in October.

Why did I say October? Because Apple has pushed the release date into sometime in October; check out the screen shot below taken from +++ THIS +++ Apple web page.

Description: Apple MacOS Catalina webpage
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: TRYUK Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/10/19 04:11 PM
With these companies now saying do not upgrade the OS I fully understand why PG Music has said nothing about BiaB Mac 2019. It will be interesting to see if any other type of software companies come out with similar announcements.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/10/19 04:45 PM
From the Cakewalk by Bandlab link above:

Quote:
Due to Apple’s new security restrictions, KOMPLETE 8, 9, and 10 HDDs and all KOMPLETE DVDs will no longer work with macOS Catalina, but your products will always be available to download via Native Access. If you’d like to install products from your DVDs or hard drives, do so before updating.

Quote:
I received an email from Ableton that version 9 will no longer work with Mac latest update.
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/11/19 12:55 PM
BB 2019 Mac is released at last - phew, the long wait is over!! Just purchased on separate HD which should be here in about 3 days (fingers crossed)! CM
Posted By: TRYUK Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/11/19 01:14 PM
I ordered the 2018 UltraPAK on HDD and was stunned that it was delivered in less than 48 hours to the UK. I was even more stunned when I got hit with £82 import duty. So this time I went for the 2019 download, fortunately I have fibre so I am in the process of installing it on a new HDD, cheaper than the import duty.

Tim.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/11/19 06:55 PM
Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac is here!
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=554265#Post554265

- New! -now a 64 bit app
- New! - AU and VST3 plug-in included
- Compatible with and runs great on “64 bit only” Catalina OS 10.15 (and older Mac OS down to and including Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/12/19 02:31 AM
Hi TRYUK - yes i know about the crazy import duty in the UK, been clobbered with that several times in the past for BB hard drives in the post! You're incredibly lucky to have fibre, I wonder what download speeds you're getting up in Worcester - here in East Anglia (Colchester/Ipswich area) the download speeds are terrible, it would take me a week or two to download BB. So the only real option was to fork out for the HD as well as the import duty - the new U.I. looks useful, looking forward to the 'one button multitrack transfer' option as well as many other improvements and new styles! On Logic Pro X here! Cheers, C
Posted By: TRYUK Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/12/19 03:35 AM
Hi Camog, I'm lucky that there is a BT exchange station just a half mile from where I live, I get a consistent 75mbps downloads and 22mbps uploads. I installed BiaB 2019 on a Sandisk Extreme portable SSD which I highly recommend, tiny and fast. It has USB-C connection and the type A. I installed last night and have yet to have a good look at it, will do later today.

Tim.
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/12/19 03:36 AM
I meant the new Plugin U.I. - looks like a time-saver apart from anything else, looking forward to getting the HD in the post hopefully tomorrow Fri? I always copy the entire BB HD content on to my own external HD (connected to my MacBook Pro) and run BB from there - then I can install all the Bonus 49 PAKS and XtraStyles PAKS into my own BB copy without interfering with the HD from PMG, always feels good to keep a clean original copy just in case! C
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/12/19 06:29 AM
Thanks Tim - wow 75 Mbps, that's like rocket speed compared to here! Cheers for the Sandisk Extreme portable SSD tip, I will definitely check that out with the ideal size and performance! Once you're up & running, I'd be interested to know how you get on - send me a PM if you want to stay in touch! Best regards, Carl
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/12/19 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: TRYUK
...I get a consistent 75mbps downloads and 22mbps uploads. ...
Damn!

I live 2 miles from HP, Apple and Google headquarters. Best I can do is 1/3 that.

There are areas of the Silicon Valley even closer to HP and Apple than I am where the choices are 768k dial-up or DirecTV satellite and that's it.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/12/19 07:17 PM
A SATA III SSD such as the Sandisk Extreme is no faster over USB-C 3.1 than USB 3. The SATA III SSD is the bottleneck.

Unless you need the portability, and SSD in a $20 portable dock gives you greater bang for the buck. One of these, for example (exact same SSD as the Sandisk Ultra, BTW)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBQMCX?aax...SBRHH6&th=1

in one of these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0185G6Q58/ref...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Audiophile owners require a 2TB external to fit everything. If you install only Real Tracks and Drums onto your external like I, you need 1.1TB space so, again, the external needs to be 2TB.

If you have the Need for Speed and have a 2017 or later TB3 Mac, then the Samsung X5 is the ticket. There's no dock/enclosure that gives you the same bang for the buck. Available 500GB ($199), 1TB ($399) and 2TB ($799)

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Portable-SSD-Thunderbolt-MU-PB1T0B/dp/B07GBWZJFG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=samsung+x5&qid=1568327112&s=electronics&sr=1-3
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/13/19 03:23 AM
Hi Mike - very grateful for all your info on external drives, very useful indeed! Thanks a lot, Carl
Posted By: TRYUK Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/13/19 03:48 AM
Hi Mike, I didn't make it very clear about the speed of the Extreme, I meant in comparison to some rather old external drives I have. The size was also a factor being so small for my mobile setup.

Tim
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/13/19 05:02 AM
Mike - you've got me puzzled, you said above 1.1 TB HD space required to install Real Tracks and Drums alone on an external drive (BB AudiophilePAK owners)? I have BB UltraPAK which is quoted as 120 GB total on the HD 2019 Mac version which I'm expecting in the post - that's 120 GB for everything (except XtraStyles and Bonus 49-PAKS purchased separately), is there that much difference in file size between BB UltraPAK and BB AudiophilePAK?? Or have I missed something? Carl
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/13/19 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: TRYUK
Hi Mike, I didn't make it very clear about the speed of the Extreme, I meant in comparison to some rather old external drives I have. The size was also a factor being so small for my mobile setup.

Tim

Of course. Nothing wrong with the Extreme. The SanDisk uses the same Fujitsu SSD as the WD Blue that I pointed to.

If you need the portability, it and similar externals are the way to go. The Samsung T5 is another excellent external that's really popular.

If a portable does not have USB-C, there are others with a USB 3 connection.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/13/19 11:49 AM
Originally Posted By: camog
Mike - you've got me puzzled, you said above 1.1 TB HD space required to install Real Tracks and Drums alone on an external drive (BB AudiophilePAK owners)? I have BB UltraPAK which is quoted as 120 GB total on the HD 2019 Mac version which I'm expecting in the post - that's 120 GB for everything (except XtraStyles and Bonus 49-PAKS purchased separately), is there that much difference in file size between BB UltraPAK and BB AudiophilePAK?? Or have I missed something? Carl

Short answer: Yes.

The relative file sizes are mentioned on the download page but it doesn't tell you just how big the Audiophile version really is — only that it ships on HDD only. We have a download option like everyone else but it excludes the .wav files — those are on the hard drive.

Here it is:

The 2018 Audiophile takes up about 1.3TB on the hard drive. From Get Info: 1,318,871,076,864 bytes (1.32 TB on disk) to be exact.

Real Tracks and Drums are the only folders I have installed onto one of my external Thunderbolt SSDs (the rest of the app is installed onto my System drive for max efficiency). To install, one copies the folders manually, then points to the new location from within BIAB. Since I have the 2019 upgrade tracks installed there, too, it won't be the exact size of the same folders on the 2019 hard drive that hasn't yet arrived.

Interestingly, on the BIAB 2018 HDD, Real Tracks is 1,218,716,449,077 bytes (1.22 TB on disk) for 160,874 items and Drums is 67,755,800,411 bytes (67.77 GB on disk) for 10,894 items — larger than the combined folders on my external. My SSDs are formatted APFS which may explain the size difference (and I'll leave it at that).
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/13/19 11:57 AM
Thank you again Mike for taking the time & trouble to explain the file sizes - will try and get my head around all that! Not much of a techie here but have managed ok up to and incl BB 2018 Mac/UltraPAK - will see how I get on when BB 2019 Mac HD arrives by post? Best, Carl
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/13/19 12:41 PM
No problem.

If you want to install the Real Tracks onto an external, it’s not intuitive and there’s no smart installer. The recent videos help. it’s really easy — just do it manually as I found out.

With upgrades and updates, I run the installer onto my system drive, then copy the files manually onto the external. I then delete them from the System drive to save drive space.

Speaking of drive space, Mojave now lets you move iTunes and movies onto an external without dealing with symbolic links and aliases. As mine is over 300GB, I plan to move it over to the same external where I have RT & Drums. My Komplete, UVI and other sample libraries sit on another external. Although the price of 4TB SSDs has come way down, they’re still more expensive than multiple 2TB drives (and I’ve had those for a few years)..
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 03:46 AM
Day 8 since ordering - still waiting for BB 2019 Mac on HD to arrive in the post, usually it's here within 2-3 days in the UK? But I'm guessing that the supply stream hasn't kicked in yet due to the very recent release?? Fingers crossed it'll arrive today or tomorrow ready for installing over the weekend?? Carl
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 05:53 AM
Oh joy - parcel with HD just arrived in the post, installing now! C
Posted By: TRYUK Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 05:58 AM
Hi Camog, Its well worth the wait, there are already two updates available. No problems for me so far and the plugin is a real bonus.

Tim.
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 11:22 AM
Thanks for that Tim - I do have some issues trying to install BB 2019 Mac!
Installed the BB Application on my internal MacBook Pro HD - and copied the entire PGM HD content to my external HD (around £150+ Gb), then ran BB and authorized it with my new key!
In the Stylepicker menu I see the XtraStyles 1 & 2 styles but they're N/A - I don't have separate copies of those?? I have updated the styles list!!
I installed all my Bonus 49-PAKS as well as XtraStyles PAKS 3-4-5-6-7 to my external drive where I keep the 'Applications' folder! All fine, except XtraStyles PAK 7 doesn't show at all - had a 2nd go with same result - would greatly appreciate assistance from PGM, or anyone with sufficent knowhow!! Thanks, Carl
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 11:55 AM
Sorry, I have BB UltraPAK+!! Carl
Posted By: TRYUK Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 11:59 AM
Hi. Carl, I installed from scratch to my external drive then ran BiaB and from the dock just select Options / Keep in dock and all was well.

I had the same problem with some styles showing as N/A. As far as I remember I had to rebuild 3 or 4 times before they settled down. I'm not 100% certain but I think I installed the updates after rebuilding.

Tim.
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 12:12 PM
Ok great Tim, thank you - I'll continue with a few rebuilds and hope things settle down, thanks also for the 2nd update tip (I thought there was only one)! I'm sure there is a new 'clarity and body' in the audio demos - need to play around a lot more, haven't got to the plugin yet! Carl
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 02:23 PM
Hello Carl,

You might not have Xtra styles 1 and 2 at all. You should definitely have Xtra styles 7 and if it doesn't show up on one rebuild, pressing rebuild multiple times isn't going to change that. I would suggest that you install the most recent patch, and this will make sure you have the most recent style definition file installed (maybe you have an old one in there from a previous install), and then press rebuild.
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 02:48 PM
Thanks a lot Andrew - I don't have RealTracks 301-328 either!! Don't understand - surely they are inside the PGM HD content all of which I copied over to my external HD, baffled??? Carl
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/19/19 03:26 PM
First install the patch (make sure you select the external drive), then press rebuild in the StylePicker, then see if you have any problem.

https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2019_mac_update_build304.pkg
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/20/19 03:16 AM
Great result Andrew, I had to point the updates to my external drive (as you pointed out)!!
I now have the Real Tracks 301-328 available as well as XtraPAK 7 - I also now realize that I have not purchased XtraPAKS 1 & 2 in the past which is why they were showing as N/A!
I have just now purchased the XtraPAKS 1 & 2 download - but in the rush made the mistake of buying for 'Windows', is it possible you could change that to 'Mac' on my account please??
Love what I've heard so far, very many thanks for your help Andrew!!! Best regards, Carl
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/20/19 04:36 PM
Ok - we've fixed that! I've made new posts for other questions that were being added to this thread. The Logic question has been moved to the Mac DAW plugin forum.
Posted By: camog Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/21/19 07:29 AM
Andrew, thanks again for fixing my purchase mistake - XtraPAKS 1 & 2 for Mac successfully downloaded and installed, everything working perfectly!!

EXCEPT - I have no BB Plugin??? Before I installed BB 2019 Mac I completely uninstalled all previous BB files from my MacBook Pro's internal HD, so the new installation is 'fresh' - I have installed the latest 303, 304 & 305 updates as well (to my external HD - my previous 'Applications' folder was completely removed before copying over the same folder from the new BB 2019 PGM HD)!
I have installed and used a very large number of plugins over the years - the BB 2019 Plugin is not on my system!! Odd since it should have gone in automatically, and everything else is working great??
Could someone kindly point me to the Mac DAW Plugin Forum please - no idea where that is?? Thanks, Carl
Posted By: Paul2open Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/22/19 08:12 AM
Having trouble with installing the packs to an external drive. Anybody able to help with that? [img:left]https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3lmfgnxapj2bjc/Screenshot%202019-09-22%2012.23.20.png?dl=0[/img]
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/22/19 10:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Paul2open
Having trouble with installing the packs to an external drive. Anybody able to help with that? [img:left]https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3lmfgnxapj2bjc/Screenshot%202019-09-22%2012.23.20.png?dl=0[/img]
Good luck with that. My installation error says that the BIAB app must be installed on the external or that doesn’t work.

The only folders I have there are Real Tracks and Drums—I keep those folders empty on my System drive. This way, if any update installs files into those folders, I can copy those over to the external, then I erase the contents on my boot drive so I’ll know if a later update or add-on installs files there.

My workaround is to install onto my System drive. I then copy the contents of those two folders into the RT&D folders on my external as above.

If you have the USB drive, another way is to install the packs onto it, then copy the entire contents to your external drive. I have the Audiophile version. Copying the RT & Drums folders over to my external takes a few hours (over 1TB) from a USB3 hard drive. I like the other way better.
Posted By: Paul2open Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/22/19 10:50 AM
Thanks Mike. That sounds like the best thing to do. I was wondering about installing it all on my system drive and then moving off the samples etc to the external so you've confirmed that as the best option. Thanks again!
Posted By: TRYUK Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/22/19 12:28 PM
On my first version 2018 supplied on a HD I just created a BiaB 2018 folder on my external SSD and copied everything from the original BiaB HD in that folder. I opened the app from the SSD, added it to the dock and have had no problems at all. All the updates were installed later on the SSD and have worked right off.

Tim.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/22/19 01:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Paul2open

Just install the Band-in-a-Box program first, then install the RealTracks (RealCombos). You can install it on any volume you have the Band-in-a-Box program installed.

By the way, please post new topics in a new thread. This is an old thread that happens to be called BB2019 Mac, but actually, this whole forum is for Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac, not just this one thread.
Posted By: Dazzman Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/26/19 05:19 PM
So I bought BIAB for Mac (Iam normally a windows user) got Ultra pack plus on USB 3.0, I presume that comes with all the style packs, real tracks and what not or did I miss something ?
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: BB 2019 Mac - 09/27/19 11:35 AM
You may be missing the 49-PAK, unless you added it to your order ($49). It includes some bonus RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks, Brent Mason Instrumental Studies, and more - check it out at https://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.bonuspaks_2019.htm
© PG Music Forums