PG Music Home
Catalina, BiaB latest version, Mega Pak.
It looks like sometimes it can't find tracks, but they appear to be in the right locations, according to the file that contains those directories. I haven't figured out what the colors mean on the instrument list in the styles with info dialog.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm thinking of just redoing the entire installation, but that's a lengthy process.
Posted By: babarton Re: BiaB plays only drums on many styles - 12/04/19 10:14 AM
My first guess would be that there is a problem with your midi setup and that you are hearing real drums, but not hearing any midi. At the top of your screen, what color are the various instrument tracks? If they are green, they are real tracks (which are audio). If they are yellow, they are midi tracks. I think the default is to always substitute real drums (which are audio), so even a midi style will play with real drums.
Posted By: parisslim Re: BiaB plays only drums on many styles - 12/04/19 11:30 AM
Thank you, I think you've hit the cause, now I need to figure out what the actual setting is supposed to be.
Indeed, the top instruments are all yellow when this happens. Will certainly look around at the MIDI setup.
Posted By: parisslim Re: BiaB plays only drums on many styles - 12/04/19 01:33 PM
Ok, I found this:

https://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_bbm_nosound.htm#basic

"simply go to MIDI | Select MIDI Driver... and select "Apple DLS Synth".

I can't find this anywhere. The doc is from 2018.
Hi,

1. First, check under Options | MIDI Input/Output ports, and set everything to MIDI plugins. (this is slightly different than BB2018)

2. In the Plugins tab of the Mixer window, click on one of the Plugin slots (e.g. where it says 'none'). In the Plugins window, click Default synth. This should be set to something like Apple DLSMusicDevice or Apple MIDISynth.

3. If still no sound, check the Sound Settings in the System Preferences. Look at both Input and Output - set them both to 'Internal'. There is sometimes an issue where a device with an usual / unsupported audio format gets selected here. For example this sometimes happens when connecting Bluetooth headphones.
Many thanks, Andrew, following these steps resolved it!
Thanks to babarton also for helping me understand the colors.

I was confused because internal sounds work fine in Logic. Looks like we have it all, now!
© PG Music Forums