PG Music Home
Posted By: TESTINGRICH1 Using an Apple iPad to gig with - 12/08/19 06:43 AM
Using an Apple IPad to play mp3 (with iTunes)
playing the mp3 backing tracks
Is it a good way to play them?
or is there a Better App to use with iPad?

Rich
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Using an Apple iPad to gig with - 12/08/19 10:46 PM
Yes.

Since you are calling up backing tracks, I recommend using TwistedWave for iOS. My tracks load and are ready immediately as I select them. So much faster than GarageBand/iTunes/VoiceMemos/MusicMemos etc.
https://twistedwave.com/ios

I've been using it for years. Don't know what it costs in the App Store but I remember paying $9.99 in 2010 or 2011.

The Mac app is a different beast that I use for recording and batch processing. Nothing is faster for bouncing .wav to .aif, mp3, mp4, flac and ogg/vobis format and back again. I can bounce 5 hours of mixed files to mp3 and separate the tracks to folders in 4 minutes or so (45 minutes in Digital Performer) Not cheapware at $79.99 but what's your time worth?

https://twistedwave.com/mac
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Using an Apple iPad to gig with - 12/09/19 04:04 PM
Rich,
First off I use a MacBook air for live performance BUT in a situation where I may need it, I have a set list on my Ipad and iphone
ready to go as backups.
On the iPad/phone I have an the app "Denon Audio", available in the app store.
On that app I have several set lists ready to go when needed.
It is a little more cumbersome to use than the BIAB on the computer but certainly an option for live performance.
Fortunately I have had to use it sparingly years ago before I had the Air. But rather than troubleshoot a computer
problem at a performance, it was easier to plug in the iPhone and continue the set using the Denon app.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Using an Apple iPad to gig with - 12/22/19 11:40 PM
A really cool app depending on what you play is Jamzone

https://www.jamzone.com/performers.html
Posted By: Aliased Re: Using an Apple iPad to gig with - 01/25/20 09:48 AM
I use Goodreader file manager app, it generally allows me to rename files on the go so I can create a new list, move them to different folders.

What I would love is an app that you dump your tracks into and then can create multiple setlist, without duplicating files. Theoretically the default Music app can but it's clunky, and I'd rather copy music to an app instead of the iphone directory.

@Rob, with Jamzone you can't use your own tracks right? It's kind of like an ios BIAB eh?
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Using an Apple iPad to gig with - 01/25/20 10:10 AM
Aliased, Jamzone is I guess kind of like a multitrack karaoke in some ways. You buy the song files, and they are laid out like a DAW to some degree, with individual tracks for all the instruments. There is a mixer and you can turn off any of the tracks. It included backing vocals, and a scratch lead vocal. There is also a instrument track where you can use a device to plug your own instrument in and mix it with the existing tracks for playback. I turn off the lead vocal, and sometimes the guitar track. You can change the key and tempo so it has some kind of stretching built in.

I attach my iPad to my PA speaker by Bluetooth and plug my guitar and mike into the PA as well, and all works well. You can set up folders, for set lists, and it will advance to the next song. You can’t make your own songs yet, but maybe someday. Right now there are several hundred songs available. To date I own about 122 of them enough for a full evenings event. I have had several people comment on the sound being good.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Using an Apple iPad to gig with - 01/25/20 12:48 PM
For performing with an IOS device I use Anytune Pro.

I've tried a few of them from free to pay.
Spend the $$$ and buy Anytune

I use mono mp3 files i build using BIAB and Logic Pro.
Anytune allows me to build set lists.
It allows me to put part markers.
I can speed up/slow down and/or change key
I can loop a section for practicing.

There is also a Mac version i use that allows me to pass song part markers and config stuff to my ios devices (phone/pad).
You can control it via bluetooth pedal (start/stop next song/ volume up down.
Muy handy feature.
Truly, I can't remember all the features.

its worth the time to check out.
I don't know of anything that come near it.
The author is pretty responsive. Code is pretty solid for my use case
If you find something better, let me know.

I do not work, nor do I receive financial compensation from Anytune
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Using an Apple iPad to gig with - 01/27/20 07:20 PM
Interesting but I'll stick to TwistedWave. Creating set lists is possible but I don't do that. There are only 150 or so songs that I will normally chose from when I perform live.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Using an Apple iPad to gig with - 01/28/20 02:08 AM
I used Twisted Wave for a little while
Nice piece of code.

I found it More of an audio editor than a dedicated gigging tool.
For performing its not quite as useful (to me) as Anytune.

I think with a lot of tools its what we grow comfortable with.

Tomato tomato if you will
© PG Music Forums