PG Music Home
Hello,

I have BIAB UtraPAK+ running on Catalina 10.15.3 on an iMac Pro. The program was running well. Then I purchased the All Xtra Styles PAKs 1-8 and when I installed it I had some permission problems. I had to manually change the permissions for the files that were installed. Specifically, directories were missing the search permission, and files were read only. I am OK with files being read only, but with the directories set with no search, I lost access to all Real Drums until I changed back the permissions. A simple chmod did not work in some directories, so I had to change those permissions one by one. After doing that, all is well and I am very much enjoying the extra styles.

Is this a common problem, and if so worthy of a FAQ?

Thanks!

Luigi
Hello Luigi_Gigio,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box.

This forum section is for PG Music Marketing, Sales and Supports to post their answers to questions. It is not often frequented by other forum members so your post will not receive the views and responses you desire. I suggest you post your question in the +++ Band-in-a-Box for Mac +++ forum section so it will receive better responses.

I have two thoughts: Are you using 2019 Band-in-a-Box for Mac? Do you need special permission from the operating system or administrator privileges to run the installer file so the file can write to disk?
Hello Jim,

Thank you very much for the advice: I am quite new, and I'm still just getting the hang of this forum. I posted here because I did not know how to signal a potential bug in the Xtra styles installer. I ran all the other installers without any issue, and only this one changed permissions in this manner. I ran it on a different HDD as well, for extra testing, and it turns out that it does the same thing: it removes the read/write/search permission for the entire BIAB directory for everyone - regardless of where it is located. I will definitely post in the Mac forum section as well, although I am not sure if my post will be able to help anyone.

You asked two extremely good questions. Yes, I am using Band-in-a-Box for Mac. The OS does require special permissions, but I am an administrator and the only user on the system. A possible complication is that I have the developer extensions from Xcode installed. It might be that this issue is connected to Catalina, as it appears it still has some documented bugs in it. It's all just an interesting mystery but it was worth looking into it as now I am able to see all the styles, and use all the RealDrums that the installer had hidden before.

Thanks again for your kind answer,

Luigi
Luigi,

Thank you for taking time to respond to my questions and provide the additional detail. The file action you've described is indeed a mystery. I'm sure Mac users will appreciate you providing PG Music with the details.
If you encounter this problem, there are a couple things that will fix it:

1 - Install the latest update patch for Band-in-a-Box (even if you already have the latest build).

or

2 - click on the main Band-in-a-Box folder (in the Applications folder) and Get Info (Command+I). Find the Sharing and Permissions, set the groups to Read&Write, then click "Apply to enclosed items".
Thanks very much for your answer. Both solutions worked for me.

All the best,
Luigi
Luigi_Gigio,

Thank you for your update that the suggestions Andrew made work. Your update will help other Mac users if they encounter your issue.
© PG Music Forums