PG Music Home
Posted By: Frank p Chord substitution - 04/11/20 02:11 PM
I am putting together a set of backing takes for Americana music and have run into a snag. I have a simple chord progression for the song Amie by Pure prairie league. Found a style that works just guitar bass and drums. Sounds good. Every now and than the 1 chord, which happens to be A, will play an inversion of the chord. Sounds like it’s A/F# as the bass note like some kind of minor inversion. Not good sounding with this genre of music. Every time I regenerate song it pops up somewhere else. How do I get Biab to stop subbing that chord ? I could put the tune into Logic and just edit it there. But I would rather fix it in Biab if possible.
Posted By: Frank p Re: Chord substitution - 04/11/20 03:14 PM
Fixed it myself. Went to Edit/ Song Form/ Additional song /settings/ Song-Simple Arrangement. Just have to remember to change it when doing Jazz Sets.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Chord substitution - 04/14/20 07:07 PM
Good tip... thanks. You can force simple arrangements for a specific song. There is also a "natural arrangement" option in the song settings that may help.
Posted By: Harmony Re: Chord substitution - 04/22/20 03:10 PM
I would like to better understand the "natural arrangement" option. The manual says, "If you give a pro musician a complicated chord progression with fancy extensions like C7b9b13 or Gm11, the musician may reinterpret these rather than playing them exactly as written. This can achieve a much better sounding arrangement because the musician has freedom to choose from similar chord extensions. You can get Band-in-a-Box to do the same thing with this option for all tracks in all songs." Apparently, there is a natural arrangement process by which complex chords are simplified. But there are multiple ways of simplifying chords, with very different results. For example, the C7b9b13 and Gm11 chords mentioned in the manual could be simplified to C7 and Gm7, respectively. A good musician is not like to make such substitutions. Better simplifications would be those which omit the root (left open for the bass), but preserve the interesting color of the specified "fancy extensions". For these chords we might have the substitutions Bbm7-5/C and BbMaj9/G, respectively, with the C and G notes omitted to leave room for the bass. To make best use of the "natural arrangement" option, users need to know exactly what Band-in-a-Box will do to simplify the chords in an arrangement. Is there a list of "natural arrangement'" substitutions that Band-in-a-Box uses, or a process it uses to decide what those substitutions should be?
Posted By: Peters Garage Re: Chord substitution - 04/22/20 04:18 PM
That is indeed a very good question
© PG Music Forums