PG Music Home
Hey I'm new to the program so still figuring out my way around...

When I started running the program, I was able to hear when auditioning in the Style Picker. Now I have no sound, but the yellow dialogue box says I am currently auditioning.

If I pick the track and play it in the chord chart, I have sound...just not sure what happened in the Style Picker. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Hello,

Does the yellow box say that it's auditioning a file from the internet, or from your local hard drive?
Let's assume it's from your local hard drive. To troubleshoot this problem, locate the audio file in Finder and try to play it by double-clicking (i.e. with iTunes or whatever the default app is). The files have the same name as your style but end in .m4a. They are located in /Applications/Band-in-a-Box/RealTracks/Data/Style Demos Audio. What happens?
Posted By: eja411 Re: No Sound when Auditioning in Style Picker - 05/04/20 03:23 PM
I tried this and played the .mp4 audio through VLC player. I was able to hear the audio when I did this
Ok, and does the yellow box say that it's auditioning a file from the internet, or from your local hard drive?
What is an example of a style with this problem?
Posted By: eja411 Re: No Sound when Auditioning in Style Picker - 05/04/20 06:55 PM
For example, I tried Baritone Guitar Spaghetti Western..._BARSPGW.m4a

The yellow box says: Auditioning style:/applications/Band-in-a-Box/RealTracks/Date/Style Demos Audio/_BARSPGW.m4a

When I play it after selecting it in the Style Picker, it sounds like the track did when I played it in my media player
That's strange... In the Mac system preferences | Sound, what is select for input and output? In Band-in-a-Box -> Preferences -> audio settings -> devices, what is selected there? Also, just to confirm you installed the build 410 patch?
Posted By: eja411 Re: No Sound when Auditioning in Style Picker - 05/05/20 04:47 PM
Yes, I checked for updates and I am up to date. The audio settings in Mac is Built in internal speakers (out) and mic (in) .... Band in a Box output is internal and input is mic. both the same.

It had been working initially and stopped. Not sure if I did anything inadvertantly.
We may be overthinking this. In the StylePicker, in the Quick play settings (which is the same as double-clicking on a style), there is a volume control - that must be what it is. The setting is saved between sessions.
Posted By: eja411 Re: No Sound when Auditioning in Style Picker - 05/05/20 05:34 PM
I have the volume fader up...this is bizarre..

Even though the yellow notification says it's auditioning, the cursor is not tracking the progress for the auditioning track...maybe there's an issue there?
That is interesting. Could you Get Info on the Style Demos Audio folder that we found earlier (click on the folder and press Command+I). Find the Permissions section, make sure it's set to read & write for you, and the click the cog icon and Apply to all enclosed items. Also what OS do you have?
Posted By: eja411 Re: No Sound when Auditioning in Style Picker - 05/05/20 05:53 PM
Yes they are set to read & write for everyone... catalina 10.15.4
May be interesting to try BB at factory settings. To do this you can close the program, then add a text file safemode.txt (contents do not matter and you can delete this file after the test) to the Band-in-a-Box --> Preferences folder. Boot up BIAB (splash screen should indicate "safe mode") and see if there's sound.
Posted By: eja411 Re: No Sound when Auditioning in Style Picker - 05/05/20 08:20 PM
Tried Safe mode....no sound for Real Tracks...I do get audition playback sound with MIDI in both modes though
When you audition the MIDI styles it may be using the online demos. If you were to rename the Style Demos Audio folder (as a test) I predict that all of the auditions would work. This would confirm that there is some kind of problem specifically with playing the demos on your disk.
Posted By: eja411 Re: No Sound when Auditioning in Style Picker - 05/06/20 04:17 PM
Yes, it appears that the MIDI is from the online demo. Must be an issue from my disk..

What's my best plan of action? Deleting and reinstalling?
This is the only thread that perfectly explains everything. Also Catalina, Auditions don't work, the curser doesn't move, tried safe mode, and spent half the afternoon and evening deleting and reinstalling and still nothing. At this point I've even taken advantage of the current sale and purchased some upgrades and ended up deleting everything and started from scratch with my original 2020 version. I'm bummed that this thread has no conclusion. I wonder if eja441 was able to fix the issue back in the day. It's currently after hours but I left a message to the live help peeps. I really hope they can help me.
Quote:
This is the only thread that perfectly explains everything. Also Catalina, Auditions don't work, the curser doesn't move, tried safe mode, and spent half the afternoon and evening deleting and reinstalling and still nothing. At this point I've even taken advantage of the current sale and purchased some upgrades and ended up deleting everything and started from scratch with my original 2020 version. I'm bummed that this thread has no conclusion. I wonder if eja441 was able to fix the issue back in the day. It's currently after hours but I left a message to the live help peeps. I really hope they can help me.

Note that this thread is over two years old. Specifically which version and build do you have? What does the yellow message say when you double-click on a style in the StylePicker? If you missed it or want to copy the text, you can find a log of the messages at Help menu | Utilities | Display log of flash messages.

Also, do you have "Use internet" enabled? In the StylePicker, click on the Actions button | Dialog options, and check the option "Use Internet.... "

Also, if you can give us the name of a specific style that is not working for you, we can test it here...
Appreciate the help. I get that this is a 2 year old thread but the original poster explained what's happening perfectly.

To answer the first question first, NONE of the styles are working.

I just purchased the latest version with ultrapak+. The build says Version 2022 (602)

The log says
- Auditioning style: /Applications/Band-in-a-Box/RealTracks/Data/Style Demos Audio/_GUAJIRA.m4a [4-7-22 20:51:18]
Other styles give me the same .m4a appropriate to the styler. When I find that file and click it using other apps they play fine.

"use internet" is checked on.

Edit: Btw, not sure if this means anything but in the syler picker on the middle bottom where there are 3 tiny icons (blue arrows, a folder and a volume), the folder is grayed out and cannot be selected.

Thanks for trying to help me Andrew. Very appreciated. I REALLY would like to avoid reinstalling everything a third time.
So if you rename the "Style Demos Audio" folder (for testing) as was described earlier in the thread, does the _GUAJIRA demo then play audibly and the flash message indicates that it's using the online file?
Ok. I did this and now it's playing from the internet. I suppose that's fine. Is there anything I can do to make it play from the folder?
If you actually navigate into the Style Demos Audio folder in Finder, outside of Band-in-a-Box, do you actually see the file _GUAJIRA.m4a, and if you double-click to play it, does it play in the default m4a player on your system?

If not, could you press command+I on the Style Demos Audio folder (get info), and set the permissions to read and write for all, and click apply to enclosed?
There we go. Permissions did it. Hey thanks for the help!!!
Great - also, installing any patch or program installer would should fix any other problems like that if they exist. We now have a patch for version 2022 available here (build 605):

https://dl11.pgmusic.com/support/mpatch/bb2022_mac_update_build605.pkg
© PG Music Forums