PG Music Home
Posted By: TRYUK Big Sur oddities [Resolved] - 11/15/20 03:04 PM
Is anyone else having this problem. Open Band in a box, File / Open song.

I can make the Finder window size larger / smaller from the top or bottom of the window, but I can only make it larger not smaller horizontally.

This I found after my first post about the odd purpleish background colour showing in Title and Style which dylanw also found in the mixer window.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/16/20 04:43 PM
Band-in-a-Box runs on Big Sur, however we are working on some compatibility issues. The main issues are graphical (purple colors on the toolbar and mixer, and slow redraws). There is also a problem with the Notation window and Lead sheet windows not working. It would be prudent to delay upgrading to Big Sur until we have had a chance to look into these issues further.
Posted By: Pastor Frankie Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/17/20 12:54 PM
Andrew do it fast cause already made the upgrade... big mistake!
Posted By: TRYUK Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/17/20 12:56 PM
Same here, I didn’t anticipate there being a problem like the 64 bit upgrade. Having said that things in general seem to be working ok, just niggly stuff.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/17/20 07:25 PM
If you guys don't mind, it will help us if you provide your system specifications - please click on the Apple menu in the upper left and select About This Mac, then provide us with the information on the Overview tab (or even better, upload a couple screenshots - you can press Cmd-Shift-4 to select an area for screenshot).
Posted By: TRYUK Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/18/20 05:36 AM
I sent the screen shots via email on Saturday as I am unsure how to attach them via a post here.
Posted By: smits Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/18/20 01:32 PM
Just upgraded to Big Sur and my Notation window isn't working.

Here's my info:
MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
1,6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB

Are there any workarounds in the meantime?
Posted By: TRYUK Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/18/20 01:37 PM
This is one of the known problems, they are investigating it.
Posted By: Yendog Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/18/20 10:23 PM
Yea i've mostly got the graphical stuff like was mentioned above. Considering that I've had every OS since 2000 and I though that Catalina was FAR and away the worst of that time I was very ready to try Big Sur... I often wait for the .1 update but not this time...

Yea i had an issue with the notation view today but generally its all functioning as far as I can tell.
Posted By: Duciel Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/19/20 02:23 PM
Notation view and lead sheet window not showing.

Here’s my info:

Mac mini (Late 2014)
2,6 GHz Intel Core i5 double cœur
8 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris 1536 Mo

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,9 GHz Intel Core i5 double cœur
8 Go 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 Mo

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
2 GHz Intel Core i5 quatre cœurs
16 Go 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 Mo
Posted By: TRYUK Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/19/20 02:42 PM
My Spec.

Big Sur 11.0.1

Macbook Pro (13 inch 2020, two thunderbolt 3 ports)
Processor: 1.4GHz, quad core Intel core i5
Memory: 8GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

Retina display 13.3 inch (2560 x 1600)

Storage 228.15 GB available of 499.96 GB
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/19/20 06:28 PM
I installed this successfully on the new MacBook Pro with M1 chip but it won't open again after the initial install. Should I assume that the M1 chip isn't supported yet?
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/19/20 09:22 PM
Yes, the Notation issue is a known problem. It worked properly in the pre-release version of Big Sur, but not on the official release (which we don't get in advance - we get it the same day you do).

Originally Posted By: Bob P
I installed this successfully on the new MacBook Pro with M1 chip but it won't open again after the initial install. Should I assume that the M1 chip isn't supported yet?

The M1 chip is not officially supported yet, but from our testing Rosetta 2 typically works well - we have one of the ARM Mac Mini's in the office.

If you don't mind, would you be able to email some files to us so we can try and find a better fix? If you go to to Applications/Band-in-a-Box/Preferences, please attach those to an email and send them to support@pgmusic.com for our developers to analyze. Then, to solve the crash issue, delete the contents of the Preferences folder (after emailing the files to us) and try running BIAB again.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/20/20 10:35 PM
I sent them to you Simon..
Update--After deleting the Preference folder twice ---BIAB seems to be working with the M1 and Big Sur. The color is off a little as indicated above
Posted By: Yendog Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/23/20 11:51 PM
Here's my info and I can not open BIAB at all.

Oh.. i see no way to upload an image here and I'm not going to put one on a image hosting site and then link it cause... well its 2020.

:-(

Very new computer (5 months) latest OS.

BIAB will not open on this computer.
Posted By: Yendog Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/23/20 11:52 PM
Im very confused cause I have used BIAB many times since the Big Sur update and it functioned. Now all the sudden it refuses to open at all.
Posted By: Mr.BobaLew Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/24/20 02:51 AM
Ditto that.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/24/20 07:26 PM
This seems to be a common issue with Big Sur users, that BIAB will work then suddenly not work. The fix is as I mentioned above; to remove the preferences files from Applications/Band-in-a-Box/Preferences although this will likely continue to be temporary until we get it fixed more permanently.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/24/20 10:57 PM
That did work for me and on the M1 as well
Posted By: Fozzie1410 Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/25/20 01:09 AM
Just upgraded to BIAB 2020 after installing Big Sur and I'm experiencing the same issues others have reported with the Notation Window.

macOS Big Sur Version 11.0.1 (20B29)
MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019)
Processor 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/25/20 09:07 PM
Hi Fozzie1410, I'm afraid we still do not have a fix for the notation window. We are still working on a patch update, hang tight!

Your Band-in-a-Box should notify you when there's a patch available.
Posted By: Yendog Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/27/20 05:48 PM
Not sure if this tells you anything but one of my students told me that he had not trouble with his Big Sur update but that he had been on the Big Sur Beta for a while before going to gold master.

Counting the minutes till this gets figured out.

:-)
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Big Sur oddities - 11/27/20 10:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Yendog
Not sure if this tells you anything but one of my students told me that he had not trouble with his Big Sur update but that he had been on the Big Sur Beta for a while before going to gold master.

Counting the minutes till this gets figured out.

:-)

Interesting, this might explain why we did not initially experience these issues. I'll mention it to the developers.
Posted By: antoined Re: Big Sur oddities - 03/04/21 02:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
If you guys don't mind, it will help us if you provide your system specifications - please click on the Apple menu in the upper left and select About This Mac, then provide us with the information on the Overview tab (or even better, upload a couple screenshots - you can press Cmd-Shift-4 to select an area for screenshot).

I just bought Mac 2020 version today 3/3/21 to run on my MacBook Pro 2020 which came with Big Sur. I do have the color problem, and blank notation page and blank lead sheet. Can't close lead sheet

Here's my Mac spec:

MacOS Big Sur 11.2.2
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

Thanks for looking into it.
Antoine
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Big Sur oddities - 03/04/21 02:39 PM
Quote:
Thanks for looking into it.
Antoine

Hello,
These issues have been fixed in build 423. Download the the patch here:

https://dl11.pgmusic.com/support/mpatch/bb2020_mac_update_build423.pkg
Posted By: antoined Re: Big Sur oddities - 03/04/21 07:32 PM
Thank you. Been working with Simon and Chantelle and got it installed and it fixed my problems.
Very happy here. Thanks again. You guys are the best!!!

Antoine
Posted By: Yendog Re: Big Sur oddities - 03/15/21 10:05 PM
Hmm.. i'm confuse why build 423 did not show up on my "updates" that I check regularly... ? But Im glad i came back to check going to try it now
fingers crossed
Posted By: TRYUK Re: Big Sur oddities - 03/16/21 07:16 AM
Build 423 didn’t show in my update either. I went to the download link given when it was announced.
Posted By: Roger Brown Re: Big Sur oddities - 03/16/21 01:59 PM
I haven't been getting update notifications in the program either. I check the website regularly, so I see them there and download & install.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Big Sur oddities - 03/16/21 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Roger Brown
I haven't been getting update notifications in the program either. I check the website regularly, so I see them there and download & install.

That seems to be something on our end - I've reported it to the dev team.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Big Sur oddities - 03/17/21 04:05 PM
I don't know if PG Music has changed their procedures but it use to be considered normal for the program update notification to lag behind one update.

The explanation I remember is this allows PG Music to remove the current build release if a severe issue is found soon after the build is released. This kind of situation is rare but it has happened.
Posted By: Gubben i Ladan Re: Big Sur oddities - 04/08/21 10:56 PM
The 423 build fixed the notation window issue for me.
I have a 2020 MacBook Pro w Big Sur 11.2.3
I got BiaB 2020 for Mac yesterday. ( Xgrade from Windows)
The notation window was blank,
Today I found this thread and downloaded build 423 from the link and the notation window works.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Big Sur oddities - 04/09/21 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I don't know if PG Music has changed their procedures but it use to be considered normal for the program update notification to lag behind one update.

The explanation I remember is this allows PG Music to remove the current build release if a severe issue is found soon after the build is released. This kind of situation is rare but it has happened.

Yes, they still do that. Now that I re-read Roger's message I understand what he's saying, and that's exactly the case there.
© PG Music Forums