PG Music Home
I will format my harddrive and install a newer version of macOS in the coming days (no I won't just update). I know that installing every single realtrack from the beginning will take hours of work. Can I just copy certain folders to my external drive and then move them back after installing BiaB?
Yes, you can just copy the entire Band-in-a-Box folder to a backup disk, and then copy it to your new computer/disk. Once you've copied it back, then run the single Band-in-a-Box program installer to complete the installation on the new computer. ALSO, prior to moving to your new system you may wish to visit the Activation dialog and "De-activate Online". That way you can activate the program on your new system without using up any of your activations.

A couple more points:

- I'm not sure if you are upgrading to Big Sur, but you should know that we currently have some compatibility issues with Big Sur that have not yet been fixed.

- It is worth considering to clone your entire Mac HD to a new disk, and then you have two identical disks, one of which you can upgrade to a new OS. You can even clone your disk a couple of times and keep one solely as a backup.
Posted By: SauliA Re: Which folders to save before formatting? - 11/18/20 01:09 AM
Hello. I upgraded 2019 version to 2020 version. My BB is in external drive, because big size. Now I installed 2020 version, and downloaded it in to external drive. Now I have 2019 version and 2020 version, but 2020 not have any old tracks etc. Can I somehow move all folders to a new version? I'm really bad at understanding computers. I have Mac.
BIAB requires certain files to be installed. Otherwise, it runs fine with all libraries sitting on an external drive.

Except for the Audiophile libraries, everything can be downloaded except your User generated files.

That said, I have my Audiophile version installed on an external SSD over Thunderbolt but not because it needs to be done that way. It fits my workflow.
Posted By: SauliA Re: Which folders to save before formatting? - 11/19/20 01:56 AM
I may have done something wrong? In external disk, I have 2019 version, and 2020 version. If I opened 2019version, and go to what add-ons do I have, it says everything is okay, but when I opened 2020 version, lot of things missing. Even the same things that I have in another 2019 BiaB?
If you had the Band-in-a-Box 2019 version on external hard drive, and you are installing an upgrade to Band-in-a-Box 2020, you need to select the external hard drive for *each* of the 2020 installer packages you run. There is a screen that says something similar to "select destination volume or hard disk" and you need to click that and choose the external Band-in-a-Box hard drive. That will update you to 2020 on your external hard drive and keep everything that you already had from 2019.
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Yes, you can just copy the entire Band-in-a-Box folder to a backup disk, and then copy it to your new computer/disk. Once you've copied it back, then run the single Band-in-a-Box program installer to complete the installation on the new computer. ALSO, prior to moving to your new system you may wish to visit the Activation dialog and "De-activate Online". That way you can activate the program on your new system without using up any of your activations.

A couple more points:

- I'm not sure if you are upgrading to Big Sur, but you should know that we currently have some compatibility issues with Big Sur that have not yet been fixed.

- It is worth considering to clone your entire Mac HD to a new disk, and then you have two identical disks, one of which you can upgrade to a new OS. You can even clone your disk a couple of times and keep one solely as a backup.

Seems simple enough. Thanks!
© PG Music Forums