PG Music Home
Total noob here. I wrote a country tune that has fiddle parts in it. I was able to export the part as a MIDI track from Musescore and import it into BIAB. Can I assign a "real" violin to the MIDI track? That's all I want. No other instruments, no nothin'. Any guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Hello buduranus2,

Welcome to Band-in-a-Box and to the forum.

If you save a RealTracks fiddle to the track that contains the MIDI data you imported from Musescore, the MIDI data will be over written by the RealTracks fiddle MIDI transcription.

I believe you want to assign a violin or fiddle MIDI patch (instrument) to play the imported MIDI score, is that correct?

Also, you didn't mention which style you are using. The style plays an import role in creating your song. If you want only one instrument playing I would start the song with a BLANK style.

There are four BLANK styles. Open the StlePicker. Type the word "blank" into the StylePicker filter string textbox and press refresh to list all the blank styles.

Two use the 4/4 time signature while the other two use the 3/4 time signature. Each of the time signature styles are further divided into even or swing feel. Blank styles have no instrument assignments. Select whichever style has the time signature and feel that matches your song.

That's as far as I can go until you let us know if you want a MIDI patch (instrument) to playback your MIDI score or if you want a RealTracks violin or fiddle to playback whatever chords you enter into the chord sheet.

Description: 2021 Band-in-a-Box for Windows StylePicker with blank filter string.
Attached picture Clipboard01.png
Originally Posted By: buduranus2
Can I assign a "real" violin to the MIDI track? That's all I want.

No. RT's are audio recordings and do not play midi!
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Originally Posted By: buduranus2
Can I assign a "real" violin to the MIDI track? That's all I want.

No. RT's are audio recordings and do not play midi!

The only way to get a real violin on a MIDI track is to print the MIDI as sheet music and record a real violinist playing it.

You can often get fairly realistic results if you get a good violin sound library. Many plugins of that ilk will work in BIAB on a MIDI track.
© PG Music Forums