PG Music Home
I've been mostly happy with the quality of the backing tracks I've been able to create with BIAB and Logic Pro.
Mostly.

I use Real Tracks entirely. No Midi whatsover.

Sometimes all the effort in the world in the DAW just won't solve the issue of errant hits or splashy cymbals or a muddy kick on a BIAB real drum track.
I have re-gen'd multiple takes and cut and pasted them together. I have mixed styles on the same arrangement and pasted them together. If I need it bad enough I can make it happen. But it is sometimes an agony.

Oh, for the ability to output Real Drum Tracks on multiple tracks. Separate thread. I believe its been on wish lists for about a decade now. Seems that would ease my particular burden immensely.

Anyway, just wondering if any in the user community have resorted to using products like EZ Drummer or Logic Drummer to replace or enhance BIAB real drum track. If so, how did you add it to the workflow.

I have used Logic Drummer a few times to add percussion parts to enhance a BIAB real drum track in the DAW. That has worked decent enough.

As I mentioned I'm mostly very happy with Real Tracks. I make a lot of backing tracks and it usually gets the job done.

Thanks.
Originally Posted By: mrgeeze
Anyway, just wondering if any in the user community have resorted to using products like EZ Drummer or Logic Drummer to replace or enhance BIAB real drum track. If so, how did you add it to the workflow. I have used Logic Drummer a few times to add percussion parts to enhance a BIAB real drum track in the DAW. That has worked decent enough.

Logic's Drummer is great! One thing worth mentioning is that you can use Drummer with any instrument / sound set you want, not just the cutely-named humanoids. I created one Drummer track that played orchestral crotales, and those were some nice sounds.
Mrgeeze

I discovered long ago that the real beauty, power and strength of Real Drums was how quick and easy they were to play. No thought needed. Which is super if you know nothing about drums and just need a drummer to drive the groove.

However, when you start asking the questions you are asking and looking for that right hit at the right time you have to move beyond Real Drums. I was at this point years ago and found that tools like EZDrummer and the whole drum series from ToonTrack or Jamstix from Razoon were absolutely needed to get the job done.

Of course this will take your workflow out of BIAB and into your DAW. But that transition is necessary to make your music, well, your music. Or just take the BIAB-VST into your DAW for the best of both worlds. Good Luck.

Dan
Mrgeeze - in 2021 you can export the MIDI version of any Realtrack drums into Logic, that way you can manually move/delete notes or make other adjustments, and you can run it through any available drum VST - these often allow you to have separate outputs for each drum which you can compress/eq individually.
© PG Music Forums