PG Music Home
Posted By: TimV Controlling utility tracks in the bar settings - 03/05/22 06:49 PM
I have no trouble being able to mute the real tracks from bar to bar, but it seems like if you use a realtrack in utility track, it plays continuously throughout the song and you're not able to mute or control them in the bar settings. Is this correct? If there is a way to control utility tracks on a bar by bar basis, I haven't been able to find it.

Any hints on how to do this?

Thanks.

Tim.
Volume in Utility Tracks can't be controlled by Bar Settings but are controlled from the Audio Edit Window using Edit Menu commands. There are three tools to mute and control volume in Utility Tracks.

From the 2021 Mac Users Manual:

Note: The editing functions are available for the Audio and Utility tracks only.

Silence - This will silence the audio.

Amplify - This will increase or decrease the volume of the audio by a chosen number of decibels. A positive value will make the audio louder, or a negative value will make the audio quieter.

Normalize - This will increase or decrease the volume of the audio in order to make the loudest point match the chosen decibel level. For example, if you choose -6 decibels and the loudest point in your audio is -8 decibels, then the audio will be increased by +2 decibels.
Thanks for the reply, but that isn't really what I was looking for.. I want to be able to mute a utility track in a specific bar and then return it to normal in another. For the RealTracks, I can right click on a bar, select bar settings and change the output. There are no options for utility tracks there. I was wondering if there was another way to do it other than doing surgery on the audio wav files themselves. I'm guessing there's not.
< I want to be able to mute a utility track in a specific bar and then return it to normal in another.>

<I was wondering if there was another way to do it other than doing surgery on the audio wav files themselves. I'm guessing there's not.>

I think you're correct regarding the audio file has to be edited in the Utility Tracks. However, you can highlight any region and apply any of the three available methods to mute or control the volume of that track.
< I was wondering if there was another way to do it other than doing surgery on the audio wav files themselves. I'm guessing there's not. >

Editing from the Audio Edit Window works the same for Legacy Tracks and Utility Tracks (all 24 tracks) and offers more precise, accurate and visual editing while also allowing edits to extend beyond the beginning and ending of a measure that using the Bar Settings menu doesn't allow.

I'm curious to what's the issue with editing from the Audio Edit Window?

By the way, there is another way to edit a RealTrack other than those mentioned so far that doesn't do surgery to the RealTrack. The RealTrack audio data file the RealTrack on a Utility Track is compiled from is never modified in a BIAB or RealBand project.

Charlie
© PG Music Forums