PG Music Home
Posted By: Hogman About Jbridge? - 09/04/22 07:03 PM
So I boot up BinaB and all these popups come up in my Yellow and Green display log concerning VST plugins. Never use to happen but it does now.

After the four window come up they start deleating themselves.

Is J Bridge something that I should be looking into? FYI I don't use any plugins with Band in a Box execpt for sforandzo, which comes with the program.

Should I get J Bridge or just ignore it?

Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: About Jbridge? - 09/05/22 11:58 AM
JBridge was a plugin that we used to supply with Band-in-a-Box several years ago, but do not anymore. It was used so plugins made with a different bit can be used in your program. Nowadays, most programs are transitioning to 64 bit.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: About Jbridge? - 09/07/22 08:35 PM
You don't say what MacOS you are running. If Catalina or later, JBridge will no longer run and it should be completely removed from your system.

Before that, it allowed 64 bit VSTs to run in 32 bit apps such as BIAB 2018 and earlier. It also claimed to let 32 bit VSTs run in 64 bit apps but wasn't very good at it.

JBridge
Posted By: Hogman Re: About Jbridge? - 09/09/22 02:42 PM
Hi Mike, thanks for your input.

I'm running Sierra version 10.12.6. I was using some plugins with a Fishman Triple Play. I don't use it much anymore but i remember that there were some great sounds at the time. The plugins that came with the hardware were Kontact and Reactor which are 32 bit and Sampletank which is 64 and works fine. Didn't know much about JBridge, that is why I asked.
Posted By: Icelander Re: About Jbridge? - 10/12/22 11:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
It also claimed to let 32 bit VSTs run in 64 bit apps but wasn't very good at it.
When you say "wasn't very good at it", what exactly does that mean or rather, in what ways would it falter, if you prefer?
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: About Jbridge? - 10/12/22 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
It also claimed to let 32 bit VSTs run in 64 bit apps but wasn't very good at it.
When you say "wasn't very good at it", what exactly does that mean or rather, in what ways would it falter, if you prefer?

Frankly, at converting 32 bit VSTs to 64, it sucks big time, every which way I can think of. When 32Lives added VSTs, that worked—except that it couldn't convert JBridge wrappers but that was ok since it 32Lives could wrap the underlying libraries.

Using JBridge to convert 64bit VSTs for use in 32bit versions of BIAB, on the other hand, worked quite well. The developer sent me the upgrades I needed and didn't ask for another $14.

JBridge stopped working over High Sierra or Mojave, I forget which. 32Lives was fine until Catalina was released.

I have other 32bit wrappers such as EazyDraw Retro (converts MacDraw/Paint/ClarisWorks/AppleWorks graphics to 64 bit to be read by EazyDraw) that also fail in Catalina. No problem since I converted all of those from a Mojave boot drive that I keep to run Encore.
Posted By: Icelander Re: About Jbridge? - 10/12/22 04:43 PM
The developer sent me the upgrades I needed and didn't ask for another $14.
Well, that's always a plus! laugh

But honestly, all I wanted to find out is if installing it on this old fossil of mine (Snow Leopard) would at the very least prevent BBox from outright rejecting my equally old plugins? If the answer to that is 'yes', then I'm happy, but if your answer is suggesting 'no' (which to me still is not all that clear?), then... well, I don't know.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: About Jbridge? - 10/12/22 07:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
The developer sent me the upgrades I needed and didn't ask for another $14.
Well, that's always a plus! laugh

But honestly, all I wanted to find out is if installing it on this old fossil of mine (Snow Leopard) would at the very least prevent BBox from outright rejecting my equally old plugins? If the answer to that is 'yes', then I'm happy, but if your answer is suggesting 'no' (which to me still is not all that clear?), then... well, I don't know.

It's now €9.90 to buy and there's a Demo license.

JBridge M for Mac

The only way to know is to try it.

32Lives is $99 and has a 14 day trial.
32Lives

I used to own both and used them with the old MDA Plugin which never made it to 64bit.
MDA Plugin

32Lives handled the AU and VST well but JBridge wasn't good with the VST. The VST version has more plug-ins than the AU.

Here's the old site from the Web Archive
MDA on the Web Archive
Posted By: Icelander Re: About Jbridge? - 10/12/22 07:45 PM
Brilliant, that was very helpful, thanks! cool
© PG Music Forums