PG Music Home
I own several of these Session Guitarist but currently working with Picked Acoustic and Picked Nylon.

I love the variety of patterns available but I would really prefer to be able to edit the patterns in my DAW's MIDI editor.

Is there any way to export these patterns as MIDI that I can then edit?
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Question About Kontakt Session Guitarist - 05/19/23 08:51 AM
If you do a little searching around, you can find out how to export the patterns or capture the patterns as midi. I can't remember now how to do it, but in involves setting up your DAW a certain way to capture the midi. I did it successfully a good while back, but just don't recall the exact way now, and every DAW will be slightly different anyway. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I think there was some info on the Native Instruments forum if I remember correctly.
Thanks etcjoe! I've done quite a bit of searching but haven't found a solution or even confirmed if it is possible!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Question About Kontakt Session Guitarist - 05/19/23 05:08 PM
To the best of my knowledge it is not possible to record the midi from the NI Session Guitar engine.

The Session guitar series, (with the exception of Electric Mint [the latest]) is a pattern player (unless in 'melody' mode) and the patterns are played inside the script; as such, the actual notes played are not exposed to any midi out channel to be sent back to the DAW for recording.

Of course, some VSTi pattern players do permit this but at this time to the best of my knowledge not the NI Session Guitar series.

But that is just my best guess...
Thanks Dan! That seems to be correct from my attempts so far.

But, hear me out, what if I outputted to audio and then brought that audio into EZ Keys or Scaler to be converted into MIDI (does they do that?) and then took that MIDI and used it to drive the Session Guitarist Melody version of the instrument? Or another guitar VST altogether?
I think Dan is probably correct that what I am trying to do is not possible but I'm going to post below what I have tried so far...
---------------
I'm not really making much progress but I did learn a few things!

Just to recap, here is what I'm trying to do and a little background.

I am using Kontakt Session Guitarist Picked Acoustic (KSGPA). I am using its pattern generator to create a lovely picking pattern. But, when I examine the MIDI I find it is mainly just instructions for the KSGPA and not actual MIDI of the played notes. That is handy as I can enter chords and keyswitches in the MIDI piano roll BUT what I'd really like to do is have the complete MIDI output with all notes and other settings so I could manually edit the patterns a bit.

So, I have been searching to a) determine if this is even possible and b) if so, how to do it. So far I've had no luck with either! I have found posts by people claiming it is possible and posts by people claiming it is not possible but no examples of how to make it work.

I am using Reaper so I resorted to a video by Kenny Gioia on routing one track to another (https://youtu.be/AGezozwHTzw?t=422 from 7:02 to 8:09). I learned a lot from this video but he was not covering my specific question and after going through the steps below I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

1) in Reaper I create virtual instrument track #1 using KSGPA (8 bars with simple chord progression sounds great)
2) in the Kontakt VST3, Settings (top bar), I click Engine and then under "Send MIDI to outside world" I check "Script generated CCs" and "Script generated notes" and I leave "GUI keyboard" checked
3) back in Reaper I duplicate track #1 to create virtual instrument track #2
4) in track #2 I delete the MIDI and remove the KSGPA plugin
5) in track #2 I set Input:None
6) in track #2 I set Record:output to Record:output (MIDI)
7) in track #1 I drag the Send to track #2
8) in track #1 Send I uncheck Master send
9) uncheck record on track #1 and check record on track #2
10) click main Record and watch MIDI get written to track #2
11) stop recording
12) create a new virtual instrument track #3 and assign KSGPA to that track
13) copy the MIDI item from track #2 and paste it into track #3
14) mute everything except track #3 and play it
15) it sounds awful!

If I don't do step #2 I get no MIDI at all in step 10.

If, in step #6 I choose Record:output (stereo) I get a perfect rendition of the MIDI BUT, of course, as audio and not MIDI.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Question About Kontakt Session Guitarist - 05/19/23 06:04 PM
Been there done that. But good for you it giving it a best try. That is the way you learn.

Here is a thought, now that you have the "...perfect rendition of the MIDI BUT, of course, as audio and not MIDI", put Melodyne Editor (preferably Editor or higher) and it will convert the entire audio track to midi. Then export the midi and import it to another Reaper Track. You may be pleasently surprized.

Best of luck.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Question About Kontakt Session Guitarist - 05/19/23 06:07 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Thanks Dan! That seems to be correct from my attempts so far.

But, hear me out, what if I outputted to audio and then brought that audio into EZ Keys or Scaler to be converted into MIDI (does they do that?) and then took that MIDI and used it to drive the Session Guitarist Melody version of the instrument? Or another guitar VST altogether?

First try Melodyn casue I have seen that work miricles. Do you have Melodyn? If not, send me the audio track and I will process it and return the midi.

I am not sure what EZKeys 2 will do - too new to us all?? And I don't think Scaler is the right tool for this.
Thank you Obi-Wan, er, Dan!
There are several audio-to-midi converters, both stand-alone and VST.

I think Jam Origin Midiguitar2 is free. I "ASSUME" this could be be done in real time by outputting the audio track to a midi track with this vst.

I have only had this vst for a few days and only used it to lower single notes into the bass range in real time. There is some latency. As I remember it is polyphonic.

This also would turn Matt's trumpet into a midi instrument I think. Then he also could play the riff to Smoke On The Water....lol

Billy
Thanks Mario! I tried using EZ Keys 2 Bandmate but it never produced anything that sounded even close to correct. I monkeyed around with Edit Play Style but never really got close to anything usable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Here is the file I am trying to convert back to MIDI,

https://file.io/FIR2shKxMkbI
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
First try Melodyn casue I have seen that work miricles. Do you have Melodyn? If not, send me the audio track and I will process it and return the midi.

I do not have Melodyne but would be grateful if you were willing to give it a try. Here is the audio file,

Posted By: MarioD Re: Question About Kontakt Session Guitarist - 05/20/23 10:07 AM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Thanks Mario! I tried using EZ Keys 2 Bandmate but it never produced anything that sounded even close to correct. I monkeyed around with Edit Play Style but never really got close to anything usable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Here is the file I am trying to convert back to MIDI,

My Internet security will not allow me to DL this file. Could you post it on Drobox or email it to me. If email just send me a PM and I will share my email address.

PS - I also have Melodyne and could try it there also.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Question About Kontakt Session Guitarist - 05/20/23 10:09 AM
Audio to Midi with Melodyne

Here is the midi file link
JJJ Midi

Posted By: MarioD Re: Question About Kontakt Session Guitarist - 05/20/23 11:50 AM
Dan, I have done that a number of times, i.e. converted my audio guitar to a MIDI track. What I sometimes do is to have the MIDI track play simultaneously with the audio track with the MIDI track having a different sound like a music box, zither, bells, etc. One can get some very nice sounding tracks this way. YMMV
Posted By: DrDan Re: Question About Kontakt Session Guitarist - 05/20/23 12:47 PM
I am in the middle of a project right now which utilizes this exact workflow, but with a piano. I have an audio solo piano backing for my song. Melodyne did a midi rendering which is not perfect but really good. But I am struggling on how to add this to the project. I am all about "
less is better" these days with my music, so adding filler just is not working at this time. But maybe my next project.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
My Internet security will not allow me to DL this file. Could you post it on Drobox or email it to me. If email just send me a PM and I will share my email address.

Thanks Mario. I just PMed you a link on a private server.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Dan, I have done that a number of times, i.e. converted my audio guitar to a MIDI track. What I sometimes do is to have the MIDI track play simultaneously with the audio track with the MIDI track having a different sound like a music box, zither, bells, etc. One can get some very nice sounding tracks this way. YMMV

I really like your idea! Seems like a great way to add a wall-of-sound to a chorus! (Mr. McCartney might disagree but so what!)
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Question About Kontakt Session Guitarist - 05/21/23 09:35 AM
I was mistaken, as is usually the case!! I did it using Electric Mint, but it has that capability built in. Sorry. As of right now that is the only session guitarist with the built in capability of exporting the midi. I read something a long time ago about doing it with the Action Strings and some of the other instruments with built in patterns and got it to work, but I can't find that now.
© PG Music Forums