PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Chord Watch - on Sale - 06/08/23 10:01 AM
Some of you may find this very helpful at a no brainer cost. Kind of a combination of two of my favorite programs - Midiculus and Scaler. I use both frequently.

Chord Watch is on sale (20% off discount code) for $20 from Chris's website.

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord Watch - on Sale - 06/08/23 01:43 PM
I just watched this, and I'm very impressed. I have several programs that analyze the notes you play and suggest the chord name, but all have weaknesses. This one allows you to set the key, choose from a series of modes and scales about two-thirds of which I could never have remembered or named, and you can use your own piano sound to improve the built-in one.

I'm off to buy this. Chris who? I'll find it. EDIT: I went to YouTube and found the video, and it all became clear. And maybe I'll get the Spotlight grand piano sounds they used as an example. Gorgeous.

Thank you, Dan!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Chord Watch - on Sale - 06/09/23 12:00 PM
Matt, I have Mediculous which does a good job with chord identification and keyboard display including notation all on the fly as a standalone and as a VST. It also allows you to use a 3rd party Piano VST for sound. But it aint't cheap and it can be a bit difficult at times. It also does a bit more that just the basics which I don't need at all. This makes it a bit complicated at times.

As you said "...all have their weaknesses". Please let us know how Chordwatch works out for you - your first impressions. While I hate to have redundant tools maybe Chordwatch would fit my workflow as a learning and teaching tool a bit better.

thanks
Dan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord Watch - on Sale - 06/09/23 04:10 PM
Dan, I played with it yesterday and fed it some real challenges, and it’s great. Most useful $20 I have ever spent. I didn’t even try the VST, just the stand-alone.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Chord Watch - on Sale - 06/09/23 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Dan, I played with it yesterday and fed it some real challenges, and it’s great. Most useful $20 I have ever spent. I didn’t even try the VST, just the stand-alone.

Wow, that is great to hear. I agree, that these features are a great aid to a seasoned or an aspiring musician. As I mentioned my goto tool in the past has been Midiculous. But while Chordwatch may not have all the features, it is less than a quarter of the price.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Chord Watch - on Sale - 06/09/23 06:33 PM
Does it detect chords from a MIDI file or only MIDI you are playing on a keyboard?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Chord Watch - on Sale - 06/09/23 07:24 PM
I fully supect that the answer is YES. At least in the VST option where you can route midi into the application. This is more of an education tool than a music making tool. As I said this looks like a combination of Scaler and Midiculous. My question is do I drop $20 to confirm that? grin
© PG Music Forums