PG Music Home
Read an interesting article about McCartney's bass playing.

Thought it might be of some interest ....

https://www.musicradar.com/news/paul-mccartneys-12-best-beatles-bass-performances
Good article.

Everyone agrees that the Beatles were a cultural phenomenon as a whole but each one of those guys was amazing on their own. The band would never have been what they became if the lineup had been different.

Paperback writer.... George is playing an SG that is identical to the one I have. That's what mine looked like when I first got it.
Great video! Thanks for posting.

Here is another great video on how Paul's bass playing changed over the years. This was an eye opener for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMtf7PtqIlw
Originally Posted By: jdew
Read an interesting article about McCartney's bass playing.

A great write-up, what phenomenal muscianship on the bass.
From seeing them on their first US tour to wearing out vinyl records I've been appreciative of their abilities - individually and collectively. And as a hack bass player I've never lessened my awe of his chops. Thanks for sharing.
Interesting article but anyone familiar with the recording history of the Beatles will note several major variations from previous published material.
Paul's bass playing changed so quickly, that I thought a studio player was recording for him. Perhaps John Paul Jones, or Greg Lake. Especially on the songs where he plays the Ric bass.

Back in the Beatles days, I would put down the sax to play bass, and our regular bass player would pick up his guitar, so we could have a 2 guitar plus bass band. The first one I learned that I was truly blown away by was “Rain”.

But I learned my assumption was wrong, and he is just a very talented musician who took to the bass easily and learned very quickly.

At first, it was “country” or “skiffle” bass, mostly root fifth. Then he started playing like Jamerson, and quickly after that found his on melodic voice. He supported the song, never got in the way, and often found creative, melodic ways to fill in the 'holes' in the music.

I love listening to good musicians, especially if they are better than me. And with my bass playing, most are better than me. laugh

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
© PG Music Forums