PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/04/23 09:49 PM
Oh noooooo!!!!!

I logged into the forum and it looks so, so 2024. Like Facebook!!!!

I loved the old 1995 AOL, Alta Vista, You've Got Mail Look! Where are the flaming fires of hot forum topics???!! Where are the little green faces??? It took me back to better days! What's next, a direct Instagram feed!! TikTok on the homepage!??!!

Say it ain't so!!

I want my MTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please go here and try to fix everything!! Look for answers below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.webcrawler.com/

P.S, More MIDI in 2024!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/04/23 09:55 PM
Looked good at first, but now it is just a mess!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/04/23 10:23 PM
There was even earlier forum software, from 1995 to summer 2000. David, you would have loved it.
Originally Posted by MusicStudent
Looked good at first, but now it is just a mess!

Try a refresh. If still messed up could you post a screenshot?

For reference, should look about like this for light:
[Linked Image from nn.pgmusic.com]

And like this for dark:
Posted By: DrDan Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/04/23 10:40 PM
Ya, refresh must have helped cause it is looking better now.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/04/23 11:02 PM
I'm OK with how everything is running. The dark mode worked; I didn't choose to keep it, but it works.

Is there an adjustment for the overall font size? I would make everything a little smaller if I could. Yes, I can do Ctrl- but that's for my browser and I would have to set that each time. Something between 80 and 90% would be right for my larger monitor. I tried making the number of threads larger but that has no effect on the font.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/04/23 11:23 PM
Soooo what's all the fuss about? Sumpin' change round here?!?!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/04/23 11:30 PM
Is there a way to get back the "old"(as of about an hour ago) screen display for the Latest Posts ?
The new display shows a bunch of white space with only 3 or 4 posting titles per page; see my screenshot.
The old format had many titles that you could easily view.

EDIT: Also, I notice that my attached file (the screenshot) is quite small when viewed on this forum. How can that be fixed so that others can see it without a magnifying glass?

Attached picture Screenshot 12.jpg
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/04/23 11:59 PM
I believe main forum page topics "separator" lines should be more pronounced in light mode (darker) . Especially evident on mobile.

Also slightly larger text for the "topics" would be easier on the eyes.

Overall looks cleaner!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 01:10 AM
We like it. Given the collapse of so many forums over the last decade we are always very happy that PG Music continues to support this mostly civil community.

J&B

PS David Snyder, you are one genuinely hilarious human!
Thanks, I'll look into all the comments here.

Is there an adjustment for the overall font size? I would make everything a little smaller if I could.
There are a few ways we could possibly accomplish that.. will consider. You want it smaller? I was thinking it was too small.

The new display shows a bunch of white space with only 3 or 4 posting titles per page; see my screenshot.
I think this could be condensed for larger screens, yes

I believe main forum page topics "separator" lines should be more pronounced in light mode (darker)
Sorry, can you clarify which lines?

Also, I notice that my attached file (the screenshot) is quite small when viewed on this forum. How can that be fixed so that others can see it without a magnifying glass?
If you click on a thumbnail image it shows it in a full screen viewer. Alternatively you can convert the attachment to an 'inline' image by clicking on it in the attachment manager dialog. Then it will display full size in your post.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 05:47 AM
Is there an adjustment for the overall font size? I would make everything a little smaller if I could.
There are a few ways we could possibly accomplish that.. will consider. You want it smaller? I was thinking it was too small.
Answer: yes, I would like to be able to make the font smaller. But it's not just the font; in fact, it's more that there is so much white space. When I open this thread and go to the top, I can only see two posts: David's starting post, and Dan's post. I have to do a lot of scrolling to read all the comments.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 06:46 AM
Alternatively you can convert the attachment to an 'inline' image by clicking on it in the attachment manager dialog. Then it will display full size in your post.
Andrew, This is great news for me. I'm learning!

However, it attaches the image at the top of the post, and before any of the dialog. Is there a way for the attached image to show elsewhere in the post?

Please see this example.
Posted By: TRYUK Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 08:02 AM
It looks great to me, but I have a colour blindness problem with some shades. Now it looks much better. But maybe what looks better to me looks off for others.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by David Snyder
Oh noooooo!!!!!

I logged into the forum and it looks so, so 2024. Like Facebook!!!!

I loved the old 1995 AOL, Alta Vista, You've Got Mail Look! Where are the flaming fires of hot forum topics???!! Where are the little green faces??? It took me back to better days! What's next, a direct Instagram feed!! TikTok on the homepage!??!!

Say it ain't so!!

I want my MTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please go here and try to fix everything!! Look for answers below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.webcrawler.com/

P.S, More MIDI in 2024!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will be OK David. Just play acoustic guitar backwards for two days while looking in the mirror and drink plenty of branch water. If you continue to feel uncomfortable, come visit me in the Florida Keys as we have many drinks here that will help.

Billy
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
[quote] Answer: yes, I would like to be able to make the font smaller.

This is one of those "one size doesn't fit all" items. I am squinting to see the text NOW. If you make it smaller I will need to hold a magnifying glass up to read the posts.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 01:35 PM
I am quietly watching for the "Oh my god! NOT CHANGE!! My horse and buggy still runs fine! Why do we need these... these... CAR things? I still run Windows 95!!" crew to start complaining.

Much like children who never tasted brussels sprouts saying they don't like brussels sprouts...

People are hilarious. LOL!!
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by eddie1261
[quote=Matt Finley]
Answer: yes, I would like to be able to make the font smaller.
This is one of those "one size doesn't fit all" items. I am squinting to see the text NOW. If you make it smaller I will need to hold a magnifying glass up to read the posts.
Have you tried the Ctrl-Plus to increase font sizes or Ctrl-Minus to reduce them? I think that works in most browsers on PCs and the like. I think 'phones/tablets have something akin.

It does affect all web pages, though.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 01:59 PM
Imagine my surprise..... I thought I had messed up some setting somewhere in the dark recesses of code somewhere, somehow..... But alas..... nope.

Now.... let me see if I can figure this out.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 02:57 PM
So far, I like it OK.

As long as I can still 'talk' to my buddies, what it looks like is secondary.

I just found the dark mode, and I think I like that. If in time, I change my mind, I can change it back.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
Have you tried the Ctrl-Plus to increase font sizes or Ctrl-Minus to reduce them? I think that works in most browsers on PCs and the like. I think 'phones/tablets have something akin.

Yes, that's in my second post. It works, but you must repeat it upon each visit and undo it for other websites. Plus, from my third comment, it's not just the font; it's the whole use of a lot of space that spread out the posts vertically.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott

Yes, that's in my second post. It works, but you must repeat it upon each visit and undo it for other websites. Plus, from my third comment, it's not just the font; it's the whole use of a lot of space that spreads out the posts vertically.

1. Ditto on space (but I shouldn't even comment because I don't visit much anymore [it sounds like a song title]).

PS "Yea" to us old '95 to 2K members still on this side of the grass

Larry
Originally Posted by AudioTrack

However, it attaches the image at the top of the post, and before any of the dialog. Is there a way for the attached image to show elsewhere in the post?

Yes, it should insert it at the current cursor position in the text area. You can also just move the [img] ... [/img] tag where you want it.

Answer: yes, I would like to be able to make the font smaller. But it's not just the font; in fact, it's more that there is so much white space. When I open this thread and go to the top, I can only see two posts: David's starting post, and Dan's post. I have to do a lot of scrolling to read all the comments.

It should be easy for us to add another style with less padding etc. and more compressed overall. But just so we are on the same page you aren't necessarily comparing to the previous forum style, you are just saying you would prefer that. Because when I compare the previous forum to this one, the old one actually has less on screen and requires more scrolling. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 06:44 PM
Ctrl and + is actually changing the size of the entire browser, so you could do that by using the browser's (Chrome in my case) settings. That's not changing just PG.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 08:16 PM
I believe topics have to be slightly larger / bolder. Here are a few examples from other places.

Attached picture forums.jpg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 08:47 PM
Yes, it should insert it at the current cursor position in the text area. You can also just move the [img] ... [/img] tag where you want it.
Andrew, Thanks again. I'm learning more. I do like this new Forum functionality. Also, the image appears in the preview now (once posted), which is another great improvement.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/05/23 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew - PG Music
Originally Posted by AudioTrack

It should be easy for us to add another style with less padding etc. and more compressed overall. But just so we are on the same page you aren't necessarily comparing to the previous forum style, you are just saying you would prefer that. Because when I compare the previous forum to this one, the old one actually has less on screen and requires more scrolling. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Sorry I haven’t been clear. I’m ok with the new forum and I wouldn’t know how to go back and look at the old for comparison anyway. Looking at your side-by-side images makes me wonder if there was some change I had made to the old forum appearance.

Yes, I believe the new appearance could be more compressed overall. Mostly vertically. But on my desktop browser it seems like the posts could also have the content go wider.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/07/23 07:57 PM
Is this a good thread to raise issues/concerns/bewilderments?

You can reorder the list of posts by the headers (as you could before) - so Title, Views, Replies, Last Post (Date).

BUT - the new forum dropped the Poster heading.
I used it often (in the Showcase).
Any chance of bringing that back??????????
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Oh NOOOI!! A New Forum Look!!!!! - 10/07/23 10:46 PM
Suggestion for Andrew,

A nice addition would be a "mark all section posts read" checkbox.

The checkbox would be useful in forum sections like the Wishlist sections when a forum member makes numerous one or two character (+1) posts in support of multiple wishlist suggestions.
Originally Posted by floyd jane
You can reorder the list of posts by the headers (as you could before) - so Title, Views, Replies, Last Post (Date).

BUT - the new forum dropped the Poster heading.
I used it often (in the Showcase).
Any chance of bringing that back??????????

Good question! I'll look into it.
Originally Posted by Jim Fogle
Suggestion for Andrew,

A nice addition would be a "mark all section posts read" checkbox.

The checkbox would be useful in forum sections like the Wishlist sections when a forum member makes numerous one or two character (+1) posts in support of multiple wishlist suggestions.

Thanks, I'll look into it...
© PG Music Forums