PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 Forum formatting and code options - 11/06/23 02:55 PM
Is there a way we can turn on HTML and UBB Code? I wanted to post the figure for the "natural" sign, which is UBB 9838, and the forum wouldn't let me. I found a way to do it but it was a clunky workaround. Can I ask why they are turned off? Are there risks involved if they are enabled?
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Forum formatting and code options - 11/06/23 03:55 PM

Easy on a Mac or an iPad in this case.

Should be easy in Windows, too. The trick is not to overthink it. I went to a site that had the natural sign displayed as a font character and did a copy/paste to bring it in here. Simpler than using the Special Character set but I could have done that if I wanted.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Forum formatting and code options - 11/06/23 04:15 PM
I ended up doing copy/paste too but I prefer to use ASCII/UBB. I guess we just can't do it here. It works and it doesn't. The code for the natural sign is 266. But when I enter ALT + 266, I get this.

Clearly not the natural sign. Another chart of different values shows UBB as 9838. When I try that I get this.

n

I opened Notepad and tried both codes with the same results.

Yet when I opened Wordpad and entered ALT + 266, I get the natural sign and can cut and paste it. All this tells me is how much about computers I have forgotten since I retired 10 years ago and didn't have to care anymore. Now I need to research the native format of Notepad and Wordpad, because they are clearly different. And the OCD in me HAS to know. I think Wordpad is UTF-8 but I have to check. After lunch!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Forum formatting and code options - 11/06/23 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran

Easy on a Mac or an iPad in this case.

How do you hold down the alt key on an iPad?
Posted By: Mark Hayes Re: Forum formatting and code options - 11/06/23 04:39 PM
UBBcode for ♮ is:
Code
♮
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Forum formatting and code options - 11/06/23 05:10 PM
THANK YOU!!!! I was overthinking?
© PG Music Forums