PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike music theory works in different countries - 11/25/23 08:51 PM
https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/music-theory/music-theory-different-countries/

Posted By: MarioD Re: music theory works in different countries - 11/26/23 01:22 AM
That was very interesting. But I don't really care what one calls the notes because regardless of what they call a note it will always sound the same.
mmmmmmm........does this mean that the spanish version of BIAB uses the solfege system for chords? and as Mario syas it doesn't really matter as long as you can get the sound you want but i'm curious
The way I understand it is that solfege is a method of teaching music theory, not the theory itself.

In theory, you can construct an orchestra of 100 musicians who all speak different languages and put music in front of them. If they all know their theory, they should be able to play it together.

They may call the notes, clefs, and everything else by different names, but they play them the same.

It's a bit like Chinese writing. The Mandarin and Cantonese words for the characters are entirely different, but they both can read them in their own language and it means the same thing.

Or Arabic numbers. We say one, two, three, Italians say uno, due, tre and they both mean 1,2,3

Music works like that.

When in Puerto Rico, I played with some Spanish-speaking musicians, and we had no trouble.

PS, sorry if this is out of line, I couldn't get the video to play. I've been having trouble with YouTube lately, and it's the only site. (BTW, using Foxfire or Brave).

Notes ♫
Posted By: Cerio Re: music theory works in different countries - 12/07/23 12:16 AM
In Spain, as in most European countries, we use Do Re Mi to communicate between musicians, but written modern music uses mostly the A B C system. Actually, one of the first things you have to learn as a music student is the correspondence between the two systems.

Many amateur musicians use chordsheets with chords like "Do-" and such, but for a professional musician that simply looks weird.
In theory, you can construct an orchestra of 100 musicians who all speak different languages and put music in front of them. If they all know their theory, they should be able to play it together.

Yes, exactly. The nomenclature is not so relevant.
© PG Music Forums