PG Music Home
Posted By: georgeptingley Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/25/10 06:50 PM
Hi all-

Still unsure what the difference is between reply and quick reply in these forums.
Also when replying to a comment, does the original commenter receive a message?

Thanks,

gpt
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/25/10 06:59 PM
This is a quick reply. I don't know the difference, so I will do both.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/25/10 07:01 PM
This is a 'regular' reply.

As to your other question, No, the OP does not receive a notice that someone has made a comment on his/her post. [EDIT: see below.]
Posted By: jford Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/25/10 07:27 PM
The "Quick Reply" button just takes you quickly to the bottom of the page to enter your reply in the "Quick Reply" area at the bottom. That way, if you are reading a posting at the top of the page and wish to reply, pushing the button takes you immediately to the bottom of the page to reply, and you can start typing.

The "Reply" button opens another page to enter your reply, but also includes different options such as auto-inserting UBB code, emoticons, etc. Of course, if you know the exact UBB code, you can type it manually in the "Quick Reply" area.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 03:31 AM
In your settings/profile, you can subscribe to e-mail notification of replies to posts.

-Scott
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 04:13 AM
Thanks for the info, Scott.

It says "Do you want all replies to your favorite topics emailed to you?". I wasn't sure what 'favorite' meant there. Does that mean that you will only get some of the responses? I'll give it a try and see.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 10:28 AM
... also, my observation is that "Quick Reply" references the poster of the last reply in the forum. If you use "Reply", though, it will reference the person whose post you clicked "Reply" on.

e.g. This is a quick reply and as Matt Finley is the last poster (at the time of my typing this), my post will say [Re: Matt Finley] in the header. If I had clicked "Reply" on (say) jford's post, the heading reference will be [Re: jford]
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 10:34 AM
... just to show you what I mean. I clicked "Reply" on jford's post to put this one on the noticeboard.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 11:01 AM
Thanks for your replies. I could be in a fog at the moment, I'll ask the wife.
Posted By: jford Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 11:05 AM
Quote:

"Do you want all replies to your favorite topics emailed to you?

On the Reply page (not quick reply) is a check mark to designate your reply as a favorite. Those are the ones that will get emailed to you.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 11:25 AM
Another early riser!
Posted By: jford Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 02:17 PM
Actually, I'm usually up by 4:30-5:00 every morning. My wife works from home, but starts at 4:30am, so I end up getting up not long after her. Keeps our hours somewhat in synch.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 03:06 PM
I guess living in synch is good.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 03:06 PM
Ah - good. Noel and John Ford cleared this up for me. Thanks!
Posted By: allis Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 04:50 PM
One other point: Quick Reply automatically names the immediately previous post as your respondee, whether you want it that way, or not.

In the worst case, somebody may post in the topic while you are composing your response -- your Quick Reply will then be directed to that new post, although you never saw it and even if it has not the remotest connection. Some of the bizarre and confused tagging of replies in the forum must stem from that.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/26/10 10:34 PM
True. We do not need any additional help to be sometimes bizarre and confusing on our own.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/27/10 08:04 PM
One of the other major issues is that with the Reply, versus the Quick Reply, you get all the UBB codes, the smiley icons, and other stuff that you would manually have to add via HTML markup in the Quick Reply.

Gary
Posted By: John Conley Re: Quick Reply vs. Reply - 02/27/10 08:44 PM
Gary, this was the quick reply thread. You took 2 days to respond. No bronze medal for you! LOL
© PG Music Forums