https://jazzstudies.us/
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 07:43 PM
My browser blocked the first link.
Posted By: MarioD Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Matt Finley

As did mine.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 07:50 PM
A big effort went into that. The songs even allow transposing to any key signature. Impressive.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
It opened for me with Firefox without any issues. What was the error message?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 07:57 PM
Checking further, it opened for me using Chrome also.

https://realbook.site/
Posted By: DrDan Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 08:00 PM
No problems here. This is something new. I have never seen the .site extension in the past. The charts are drawn from the original pages of the Real Book. You can adjust the key up or down and the chart changes. But the charts do not play. There is no midi or audio. Instead there is in many of the ones i have looked at a youtube link to a recording video of the song. But there is no file to download.

You can "join" and you can "uplode" or you can "donate$".

My first impression is positive.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 08:05 PM
My anti-virus blocked it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Notes Norton
And the reason it gave?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 08:18 PM
I get the impression that the site may be from Russia somewhere. The 'Donate' tab displays in Russian text.

Edit: I was right:
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 2024-03-06_7-21-36.jpg
Posted By: shlind Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 08:42 PM
It opened fine here in Chrome.

I just tested to print a few files to PDF.

The PDFs are structured (not graphical) so I dropped it into "PDFtoMusic" and it could read the score and play the music correct.

Then I tried to export it from PDFtoMusic to midi and then loaded it into MuseScore4 and GuitarPro8, but here it got a bit messed up and will need some editing.
Posted By: MarioD Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 09:02 PM
Here is the anti-malware message I get. Note that I have the paid version of Malwarebytes.
{edit} -if Malwarebytes says don't go there I don't go there. Why take a chance?

Attached picture 1-risk.jpg
Posted By: shlind Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/05/24 09:10 PM
Thanks,
I also have an extensive virus protection software om my PC, but it did not give any warnings. Scanning the downloaded PDFs for virus does not show anything. But I think I leave this site anyway.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/06/24 12:20 AM
I'm wondering if Muse Group will be able to shut this down now that they own The Real Book as of a couple months ago and administer all the copyrights contained.

Being a copyright troll site, it surely must be on their radar.
Posted By: MarioD Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/06/24 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran
I'm wondering if Muse Group will be able to shut this down now that they own The Real Book as of a couple months ago and administer all the copyrights contained.

Good point. I wondered about the copyright thing also but I don't have the knowledge or the desire to dig deeper into it.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/06/24 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by MarioD

Good point. I wondered about the copyright thing also but I don't have the knowledge or the desire to dig deeper into it.

Understandable. US Copyrights, being public records, are easy to look up. Still, it can be time consuming even for someone as experienced as me. In this case, these pages are scans of pages from The Real Book, so called because the proper Copyright licenses have been obtained.

Muse Group has an ambitious plan to remake the world of music as we know it and they may just have to money to pull it off. None of this can happen without the rights holders being paid. Enter Hal Leonard, largest sheet music publisher in the world but, more importantly, they've been at this 'licensing music and getting people paid' routine for a very long time. There's a detailed article in Scoring Notes that gets into Muse Group, their plans and how Hal Leonard fits into this. As a content creator yourself, you'll be surprised by what's going on and may see some opportunities down the road.

Muse Group Acquires Hal Leonard
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/06/24 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
Originally Posted by Notes Norton
And the reason it gave?
See Mario's post (above)

Notes ♫
Posted By: MarioD Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/06/24 01:46 PM
That was very interesting Mike.
Thanx for sharing.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/06/24 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by AudioTrack
I get the impression that the site may be from Russia somewhere. The 'Donate' tab displays in Russian text.

Edit: I was right:
[Linked Image]

Leave it to the Russians.

I remember a site boogiewoogie.ru from a few years ago.
They had pdf versions of much sheet music available to download at no cost.
Hundreds, perhaps thousands of titles.
Just about every real book. Lots of popular music. Classical stuff also.

No regard for who owned the rights.
Posted By: dcuny Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/06/24 05:21 PM
In this case, these pages are scans of pages from The Real Book, so called because the proper Copyright licenses have been obtained.
These aren't direct scans of the pages - the notation is rendered using the free Verivio music notation rendering library. They're using the free Petaluma jazz music notation font, which is why it looks like like it's scanned from the RealBook.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: FYI Realbook online - 03/07/24 12:14 AM
Yes, they are certainly not scanned images. This can be verified by just changing the key signature.
© PG Music Forums