PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Wind - a new song - 03/12/10 11:00 PM
Wind is something a little different as a practice song for my wind controller. The guitar lead is organic but the other two synth leads are from the wind controller. I was not trying to emulate any instruments with the leads.

I hope you enjoy it for what it is.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Wind - a new song - 03/12/10 11:12 PM
Mario,

OhhHhh la la, I love the intro . . . .

Those are some fantastic sounding pads.

The geetar tone is perfect for this, IMO. Nice and clean.

Kept waiting for the "bend this string, as in tuning a geetar type effect."

I assume you were blowing into that thing? It sounds fantastic. You's must be a quick study on learning a new instrument . . . . .

That was great brother. Nice and light, like floating in a hot air balloon.

Trax
Posted By: George Nelson Re: Wind - a new song - 03/13/10 10:16 AM
Hi Mario,

This fills two criteria I think.

1. It's a very good instrumental.

2. It evokes pictures to fill the mind.

I was transferred to a field on a sunny day.

Was watching one of those Dandelion seeds floating and dancing in the air ( in my area of Scotland we call those Hairy Beasties)

To think you are only "learning" the wind controller, well, you're doing very well

Keep it up.

Best regards
michee
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: Wind - a new song - 03/13/10 01:37 PM
Very relaxing. It's obvious, to me, that you're feeling what your EWI can produce.
I liked the places you went with it.

Mick
Posted By: MarioD Re: Wind - a new song - 03/13/10 02:41 PM
Thanx Trax for the very kind review.

Yea, I’m blowing into “that thing”, which at times is the most politically correct thing I can call it – I really don’t want type those other words I call it But I’m not a quick learn at all. I’m still struggling and having to do some editing.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Wind - a new song - 03/13/10 02:47 PM
Michee and Mick, thanx for the very kind words.

I am enjoying the EWI. It forces me to think and approach the songs differently. I’m finding the same thing with the keyboard. Both instruments are vastly different than the guitar, for me anyway. The only thing I can add is thank God for midi editing
Posted By: toucher Re: Wind - a new song - 03/13/10 03:51 PM
Great production Mario.......

On my system the guitar sounds like it might be too far back in the mix. That may be what you intended or maybe I just enjoy your guitar work to the point of trying to concentrate on it over the synth sounds. Great job

Rob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Wind - a new song - 03/13/10 08:05 PM
Hi Mario,

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to "Wind". It's very evocative. This instrumental would definitely have a place in some of today's movies. I can see it being using in many ways. I agree with toucher in that, to my ears, the solos sounded a little soft against the sustained background. Other than that, though, only one word springs to mind... "brilliant".

I've got to say, your sense of arrangement is spectacular.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Wind - a new song - 03/13/10 08:19 PM
Mario,

I like the sounds you're getting here. I would never have guessed that the synths were triggered by a wind controller! For me it works very well as mood music or as accompaniment for a presentation, or as background music for a scene in a movie.

The FIRST thing that entered my mind was a National Geographic special... I imagined your music as backdrop to the voice of a scientist explaining how some phenomenon happens in nature. Our local Ripley's aquarium plays similar music at the manta ray exhibit. It seems like "yeah, that's probably what manta rays are thinking when they swim like that..."
Posted By: enjfb Re: Wind - a new song - 03/14/10 10:34 AM
A very good instrumental with some wonderful sounds providing a great atmosphere. The opening very good and the entrance of the guitar I liked a lot. Maybe a little effects on that guitar to give it a more haunting and sustained feeling would have been nice. You are becoming an expert on that wind controller and it does sound as if you are really feeling the music as you play it. I enjoyed it very much.

Jim
Posted By: MarioD Re: Wind - a new song - 03/14/10 02:42 PM
Thanx all for listening and the very kind words.

Toucher – Thanx, I kept the guitar in the background as I did not want it to overpower the synths. Maybe it’s a little too far back?

Noel – thanx, are you saying all both leads are too far in the background? I did that on purpose for the guitar lead but not the flute lead.

Pat – maybe someday I’ll be discovered, thanx

Jim, interesting you should mention guitar effects. I tried a bunch of them and I could find one that I liked. I do like the contrast between the acoustic guitar and the pads though.
© PG Music Forums